Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). IR advice - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

IR advice

The world of IR’s has suddenly opened up to me.

any advice for a starting point, I don’t want to fall down a rabbit hole of a/b’ing hundreds of files, I take the view that I only have one cab for my amp in real life so to settle on two or three in the virtual world is luxury enough.

Thinking a 2x12 open back with Celestion Greenbacks/Creambacks or similar, a 4x12 closed back for some chunk, and a Fender style (Jensen ish) open back would more than cover my needs.

Currently using a couple of free ones that are fine but I’m sure there’s better out there and I’m willing to pay but it’s a minefield to the uninitiated.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 347
    This Ownhammer pack would do everything you could ever need. You don't need to go down the rabbit hole and there are out of the box mix and eq options for anything you need. They are well described and match those descriptions making choosing the right IR very easy. Highly recommended: https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449

I use these for live and recording with amps and with sims.

I own others but rarely use them and from your request this sounds like just the job for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • York Audio for me sound the best and don’t require any tinkering with to work in a mix.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Great thanks, sounds like a pretty good option 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    I like York Audio because they sound great and the mix selections make it easy to get a good sound without having to wade through several hundred options.

The $1 Mesa V30 pack is my current go to for pretty much everything gain based . It's amazing for a (almost free) sample
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 178
    For a while now, I've been using Two Notes Wall Of Sound.  I use it with real amps and sims.  It's absolutely the best thing I've come across and I've tried loads of different things.
    What makes it so good is that it's flexible and makes the options so much easier than just looking through folders.  What really makes it sing is when you start adding in the miking of the back of the cab and not just in front of the speakers.  Suddenly you've got something that's more 3D and realistic than anything else I've encountered.
    The other amazing thing is you can try every cab before you buy it.  Keep going until you find what you're looking for.  Build presets with front and back miking with different mikes in different positions to get the sound your after and then just buy what works for you.
    Can't recommend it enough.