Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). One of those questions,is it the Allen Key or Hex Screw. that's the problem... - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

One of those questions,is it the Allen Key or Hex Screw. that's the problem...

What's Hot
KevSKevS Frets: 309
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
The coating has came of several allen keys for adjusting my Fender bridge saddles..
Is this why they spin around and no longer adjust my saddle screws..?
Or have the hex holes been turned into round holes from the Allen Key Chewing them..?

If I need new screws,what should I buy,are there longer lasting ones,or do I need better Allen Keys.  ?
My favourite set has went missing after a house move..

Maybe I should loosen the strings before I change saddle height,I can be lazy at times...
The Allen Keys turn around in they rather than loosening a saddle coming down in height too by the way,
just in case that came out wrong..

As I say up above,the Black coating has came off the Allen Key leaving the ends Silver and slightly narrower.... 

Are these the screws for the older Mexican Standard bridge saddles..? https://www.amazon.co.uk/KAISH-Stainless-Adjustment-Stratocaster-Telecaster/dp/B09B57L8YP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=stratocaster+bridge+screws&qid=1689571175&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

What about the screws for the offset block saddles on the older USA Standard Strats..?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Pictures might help. 3 possibilities come to mind: you’ve rounded the hex key in which case you need a new one; you’ve rounded the hole or, most unlikely the coating coming off the key has made it too small, in which a new key will sort it. 

If you’ve rounded the hex hole then, with no string tension a larger Allen key may work or you could tap in a Torx bit and use that to replace the bolt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    In theory, the point of the Allen system is that the key should always round before the screw, meaning that you can simply replace the key. In practice, it doesn’t always work if the screw isn’t properly hardened, or you keep using a damaged key beyond the point where it’s started to slip.

I would replace the key first and see where you are from there…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Metric or imperial Allen keys? Are you using the ball or the square end?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KevSKevS Frets: 309
    elstoof said:
    I am using the ones I got with the guitars,so Fender ones...
    Both ends appear to be flat with these Allen keys..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KevSKevS Frets: 309
    edited July 2023
    ICBM said:
    In theory, the point of the Allen system is that the key should always round before the screw, meaning that you can simply replace the key. In practice, it doesn’t always work if the screw isn’t properly hardened, or you keep using a damaged key beyond the point where it’s started to slip.

I would replace the key first and see where you are from there…
    Some Allen Keys are definitely better than others,,it's harder to differentiate when ordering online...
    I will investigate..

When I used to smoke,a Rizla Paper plus the Allen Key would make up the gap at times..
    Glad I stopped that habit..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I use good quality hardened steel Allen wrenches that I aquired while working in a precision engineering company rather than ones that came with my guitars.  I also replace the saddle height screws with A2 stainless steel grub screws (referred to as socket set screws) that I buy in bulk packets from industrial fastener companies like:
    I have no idea what brand the Allen wrenches were.  They were supplied by the company that sold us the CNC cutting tips and tools.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    KevS said:
    elstoof said:
    I am using the ones I got with the guitars,so Fender ones...
    Both ends appear to be flat with these Allen keys..

Fender guitars will use either metric or imperial allen keys depending on where the bridge components came from (USA or Mexico or China or Japan). Are you sure you are using the right size?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1