Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fuzz face kit - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fuzz face kit

What's Hot
Hi folks, 
looking to do my first pedal build. Any recommendations for kit suppliers? 
I like the look of the stew Mac kit and it’s comprehensive instructions but quite expensive. Also looked at Jed peds. Ideally want full kit + enclosure and instructions for first attempt..
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    Jeds Peds are great. I've built two of his kits and the components are top quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Jeds Peds are great. I've built two of her kits and the components are top quality.
    FTFY 
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    Jeds Peds are great. I've built two of her kits and the components are top quality.
    FTFY 
    Thanks @Jonathangus! Jed seemed more like a bloke's name to me, so I just assumed she was a he.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/how-we-operate

The beardy bloke on the loading screen is something of a red herring!
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited July 2023
    Jeds is good although I slightly prefer Fuzzdog as their optical bypass optopuss boards/switches are great and their selection is huge.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I've built kits from both FuzzDog and Jeds - both have worked out fine, both have detailed instruction guides and both dealt with minor problems quickly.

You just need a decent soldering iron (with suitable tip), decent solder, decent eyesight and a multimeter.

Pedal building is quite addictive though.  
    ;)

(StewMac will always be expensive for UK buyers - either of the above will be better value).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cheers all, will take a look at the fuzz dog site.

TTony said:
    Decent eyesight.

This may be a problem!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Fuzz Dog PCBs are really nice
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

TTony said:
    Decent eyesight.

This may be a problem!
    There are various options here;
    https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/

I wear mine *with* (ie over the top of) normal glasses and it works well.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 74
    Another thumps up for Jed’s Pedals here, I’ve built about 12 of the kits including the Hendrix/Mayer fuzz face and the mystery fuzz. They have a comparison table, and have started a sound demo page also.
  • Thanks for the suggestions all. 
    Just ordered the Jed’s peds axis fuzz. Now need to order some eyesight enhancers. Cheers for the link @TTony .

The Swamp City Shakers