Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tony Butler (presenter) - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tony Butler (presenter)

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
edited July 2023 in Tributes
Passed away age 88. Well known broadcaster in the West Midlands, pioneer of radio phone ins and subject of Jasper Carrot jokes. Tony grew up in Lower Penn near Wolverhampton which is where I grew up. I used to catch a bus to school and I would often see Tony popping to the shops for a newspaper whilst I waited. My friend Roy (who's father was the local bookie) would shout out abuse at Tony. 
Local icon, RIP.
I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Local icon, for sure.
    RIP

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    edited July 2023
    Definitely.

'Oi Tone, what about the Villa?'
    'What about them?'
    'OK, thanks Tone'.

Copied from elsewhere....

"We've got Arthur with the answer to the quiz."

" ello Tone. Is it 1947?"

"Eh?"

"Is it 1947?"

"Arthur, the question is what happened in 1957, and your answer is 1947?"

"No Tone, it's the year John Richards was born."

"Arthur, that was LAST week's quiz."

"Oh, sorry Tone, it's taken me a while to get through."

Here's a little montage of his show. Funny clip from the boy Carrott at the end of the montage.

Definitely one of the originals! On yer bike Tone and RIP sir.

Call me Dave.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    "Tone! Tone! If the ball had hit the back of the net it would have been a goal"

RIP

Used to listen to him a lot. I remember him laying into Steve Bruce when he was Birmingham manager, who then went on a winning streak and got promotion! Quality radio.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    blobb said:
    "Tone! Tone! If the ball had hit the back of the net it would have been a goal"

I think that one was something like ' Tone, I was down the Blues this afternoon and Bertschin hit a shot - if the ball had hit the back of the net' etc....   =)
    Call me Dave.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    An absolute legend in the West Midlands.  Although somewhat exaggerated by the aforementioned Mr Carrot, his phone ins were indeed regularly accidental comedy gold. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    West Midlands legend. Saturday evenings were incomplete without his coat downs of your favourite players. On yer bike, Tony. 

I saw a Carrott gig at the NIA about 20 years ago with my mate who grew up in Dundee (we'd lucked into some free tickets won by another mate in a WM competition). The Tony Butler section went completely over his head - the only person not laughing in the whole place.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"