Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What Does This Song Remind Me Of? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What Does This Song Remind Me Of?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
Florence Black - Sun and Moon

I heard this on Planet Rock the other day and instantly loved it. I think it caught my ear due to the clean Intro vibe but I still digged it when it progressed to the intense parts.

I can't narrow it down to one song, but that clean intro reminds me of something, tonally, maybe Marillion or Floyd. I know it is a common chord progression, but it sounds like a specific song that is evading me.

What the Buggering Hell is it I'm thinking of?

Top track anyway.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited July 2023
    Bass from Pink Floyd and chords from 'Kayleigh' and there's something there that reminds me of Thin Lizzy's 'The Sun Goes Down' but this is faster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Bass is definitely Floyd-ish - Sheep.

Super modern production. Will bookmark for later...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    goldtop said:
    Bass is definitely Floyd-ish - Sheep.

Super modern production. Will bookmark for later...
    Don't you start with your Sheep again ;)

That said, they are from Wales :)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    Kebabkid said:
    ............ chords from 'Kayleigh' ........

I can hear that, and the vocals Shinedown
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    edited July 2023
    It’s got a bit of a Floyd’s Run like Hell canter about it 

https://youtu.be/j2s8yGMEbSs
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 931
    Reminds me of “Sun goes down ‘ Thin Lizzy
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Opening had me instantly singing Kayleigh , but I hear Sun Goes Down too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited July 2023
    Aprt from Kayleigh, maybe a bit of Sultans of Swing? Same key.

https://youtu.be/h0ffIJ7ZO4U
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited July 2023
    The intro is definitely Kayleigh and there's a lot of Pink Floyd's Sheep in there as well.

Other hot takes - that bass looks cool and it's kinda funny the drummer has gone to the trouble of putting a mat down for his kit in the video...   ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GE-sfEbJ7I
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I'm sure it's not even the same chords or anything, but atmospherically the intro reminded me of Voyager by Ronnie Montrose's band Gamma.

Anyway, it's good.  And they're Welsh.  I like 'em.  The name though... seems it's also a UK fashion label, which could be confusing....
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    My first thought was Dire Straits, the guitar tone is very similar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Dire Straits is a surprise mention, but yes, it does have the same chords run down. I'll have to remind myself of the Lizzy track later, I can't recall that one embarrassingly enough.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited July 2023
    Dire Straits is a surprise mention, but yes, it does have the same chords run down. I'll have to remind myself of the Lizzy track later, I can't recall that one embarrassingly enough.
    Especially at 20-21 seconds - that slide up in 4ths. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Kayleigh by Marillion  for sure on those twangy bits 

Do you remember . . .