Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's better than an 80's Fender Super Champ? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's better than an 80's Fender Super Champ?

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
Two of them.

2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Indeed.

I used to gig with exactly that set-up...

I should have kept them, or at least one of them. I had four in total, one by itself and then three (two and a spare).

You'll know if either of them were mine since I modded the last three with an FX loop, the footswitch hardwired into the amp, and a large cooling fan under the power transformer. At least one of them had the 6C10 replaced with a 12AX7 (with the remaining third 'borrowed' from half the reverb driver) since 6C10s were unobtainable between about 1990 and the start of Ebay.

I'd actually like one of my modded ones back - they're most likely worth more to me than anyone else, since 'mods' (however useful) are now though to be universally a Bad Thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Neither are yours @ICBM , the most recent one has has a speaker socket on the back but is unmolested otherwise.

It was filthy though (why do people do that?) but it's had a deep clean bar the metal which I'll do sometime.

I've got 6/7 spare 6C10s so they should keep going well after I'm gone

I just need to match the speakers and I should have a lovely stereo rig.  They both had original Pyle speakers but one has a Ragin Cajun, the other is a Cannabis Rex 10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hot damn! I thought the super champ was SS though?

ICBM said:
    Indeed.

I used to gig with exactly that set-up...

I should have kept them, or at least one of them. I had four in total, one by itself and then three (two and a spare).

You'll know if either of them were mine since I modded the last three with an FX loop, the footswitch hardwired into the amp, and a large cooling fan under the power transformer. At least one of them had the 6C10 replaced with a 12AX7 (with the remaining third 'borrowed' from half the reverb driver) since 6C10s were unobtainable between about 1990 and the start of Ebay.

I'd actually like one of my modded ones back - they're most likely worth more to me than anyone else, since 'mods' (however useful) are now though to be universally a Bad Thing.
    If I bought one could I send it to you for mods? Haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Dodge said:

Neither are yours @ICBM , the most recent one has has a speaker socket on the back but is unmolested otherwise.
    Yes, I did that to mine as well - I forgot that, it was such a basic thing to do. Why they fitted them with that ridiculous hardwired arrangement when the panel was already drilled correctly for the jack, I have no idea.

Hot damn! I thought the super champ was SS though?
    No, the 80s ones are all-valve.

The modern ones are hybrid - digital preamp, valve power section.

stylesforfree said:

If I bought one could I send it to you for mods? Haha.
    Sorry, not doing that any more :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    Dodge said:

I just need to match the speakers and I should have a lovely stereo rig.  They both had original Pyle speakers but one has a Ragin Cajun, the other is a Cannabis Rex 10.
    I have a Tayden Ace 25 (Celestion Alnico “Blue” a-like) in mine, and it’s absolutely lovely. 

Sadly I think Tayden have gone out of business now thought - Celestion still do a 10” version of their “Gold” (which I believe is supposed to sound like a “Blue” with a few thousand miles on it) though, and I think that would probably  be my first stop if I was lucky enough to pick up another one and needed to replace the speaker… 
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:
    Dodge said:

I have a Tayden Ace 25 (Celestion Alnico “Blue” a-like) in mine, and it’s absolutely lovely. 

Sadly I think Tayden have gone out of business now thought - Celestion still do a 10” version of their “Gold” (which I believe is supposed to sound like a “Blue” with a few thousand miles on it) though, and I think that would probably  be my first stop if I was lucky enough to pick up another one and needed to replace the speaker… 
    I've ordered another Ragin Cajun which should arrive before the weekend.  I tender to favour American-style speakers in American-style amps.

The Rex 10 is is very good indeed in the SC, in fact in isolation it probably shades the Ragin Cajun but the Ragin Cajun is just that bit bigger sounding - bigger bottom and it's brighter too (but not too bright).  It sounds more like a 12 than a 10 and accentuates the BF Fender type tone.  The Rex 10 has less scooped mids and a more muted treble.

I really do have a soft spot for Super Champs though.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    Dodge said:
    JayGee said:
    Dodge said:

I've ordered another Ragin Cajun which should arrive before the weekend.  I tender to favour American-style speakers in American-style amps.

The Rex 10 is is very good indeed in the SC, in fact in isolation it probably shades the Ragin Cajun but the Ragin Cajun is just that bit bigger sounding - bigger bottom and it's brighter too (but not too bright).  It sounds more like a 12 than a 10 and accentuates the BF Fender type tone.  The Rex 10 has less scooped mids and a more muted treble.

I really do have a soft spot for Super Champs though.
    I know it’s not an obvious choice for an amp like that, but (having bought it for another project) it’s what I had to hand when the original blue “Fender special design” unit developed a rub so I gave it a try and haven’t looked back. Bright but never “brittle” and less mid scooped than the original. It’s just lovely. The guy at Essex Amp Repairs who serviced it for me recently when I brought it out of a period of hibernation was absolutely smitten with the whole package…

And yes, they’re brilliant little things. Mine fell out of use for quite a while because it simply didn’t suit the material I was working with (obnoxiously loud pub rock covers band) but it’s absolutely perfect for what I’m doing now and I’ve fallen in love with it all over again… 
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 291
    I had a Ragin Cajun in mine. I put the standard speaker back in when I sold it and was surprised how good the standard one was...for that Strat/Fender sound. Wish I'd kept it now
    I had a Ragin Cajun in mine. I put the standard speaker back in when I sold it and was surprised how good the standard one was...for that Strat/Fender sound. Wish I'd kept it now
    There were two Fender speakers in the Super Champ.  The Pyle which is ok, and the Eminence which isn't. ;-)

The Ragin Cajun is a definite upgrade though for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    edited July 2023
    I'd love a Super Champ. I have a Champ II from the same period and I put a Gold in it. For what I do, I have no need for anything bigger.
    RickLucas said:
    I'd love a Super Champ. I have a Champ II from the same period and I put a Gold in it. For what I do, I have no need for anything bigger.

Also wonderful amps - I had one for a period.
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 201
    Princeton Reverb II is also a great Rivera era amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    RickLucas said:
    Another Champ II Owner here. I wonder how many there are in the UK?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Champ II's are plenty loud though, aren't they? Princeton ii's even more so!!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    GoFish said:
    Champ II's are plenty loud though, aren't they? Princeton ii's even more so!!
    Hell yeah. A few weeks ago we played an outdoor gig and to supplement the origin 20  head and 2x12 on my I side I put my Champ II on the other side of the stage and the other guitarist asked me to turn it down lol.
    Don't touch that dial.