Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). frets have horizontal bumps - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

frets have horizontal bumps

What's Hot
Hi guys

Bought a little ukelele that has a bad finish on the frets meaning that the string 'steps' over these little edges if I do any bends

I think they just need a quick file across to see these edges off but I'm not sure what tool to use and would love some suggestions for a decent fret file

Thanks
1979 Tokai TE-85
1980 Tokai LS-80
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited July 2023
    Going from your description the frets have been "levelled" by running a file or beam with abrasive paper lengthwise along the neck across the frets, but no effort has been made to remove the file marks by using a fine abrasive along the length of the frets (across the fretboard).  If you are feeling the sanding grooves while bending nylon strings across them, then the grooves must be quite pronounced.  Ukulele frets are usually very narrow and quite low.

A "recrowning" file is used to re-establish the curved dome of frets that have been sanded / filed down to make them all level and have left them with flat tops.  These fret files don't actually take anything off the top of the frets by design, but remove material from the squared off "shoulders" left after levelling.  You usually have to polish the frets to remove residual filing marks on the domed crown.

You can buy "Fret erasers" (abrasive encapsulated in hard rubber blocks) of different grades from around 200 grit in increments up to 1,000 grit.  You don't normally have to tape off the fretboard between the frets when using these as they span more than one fret and don't touch the board.  The 400 grit fret erasers will usually remove fine file marks.

If you are so inclined you could tape off the board between frets and use a fine wet & dry paper like P600 or P800 folded and rubbed along the frets with your thumb or forefinger.  I prefer this for removing the fine filing grooves as it is more effective for this task than fret erasers, but your fingers will get pretty dirty. To give the frets a final fine polish you can use one of the fine grit fret erasers or even Brasso on a cloth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    edited July 2023
    A quick, easy, cheap way that will get you 90% there is to get a pack of two fingernail emery boards from the local supermarket 'nail care' section and a nail buffer from the same section.

I use the above for a 'quick and dirty' high-spot fret levelling on my own guitars and basses if I'm pushed for time to do the proper job.  A variation of the same method could be used to sort your issue. 

The method:
    - take the two emery boards and rub the two together on one side for 30 seconds or so to give a smoother side on each
    -mask off the fretboard (in the quick and dirty version, I just walk a couple of strips of masking tape up the fretboard, sticking them on either side of each fret I'm tackling)
    - with forefinger at the back of the emery board to gauge the pressure and keeping the board level to not dig into the fretboard, gently sand along the fret direction using the 'rough side' of the emery board.  You are only trying to remove the bumps and not lower the frets!  
    - turn the emery board over and repeat with the smooth side
    - finish off with the nail buffer to bring it to a shine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Thank you so much for the detailed r
    BillDL said:
    Going from your description the frets have been "levelled" by running a file or beam with abrasive paper lengthwise along the neck across the frets, but no effort has been made to remove the file marks by using a fine abrasive along the length of the frets (across the fretboard).  If you are feeling the sanding grooves while bending nylon strings across them, then the grooves must be quite pronounced.  Ukulele frets are usually very narrow and quite low.

A "recrowning" file is used to re-establish the curved dome of frets that have been sanded / filed down to make them all level and have left them with flat tops.  These fret files don't actually take anything off the top of the frets by design, but remove material from the squared off "shoulders" left after levelling.  You usually have to polish the frets to remove residual filing marks on the domed crown.

You can buy "Fret erasers" (abrasive encapsulated in hard rubber blocks) of different grades from around 200 grit in increments up to 1,000 grit.  You don't normally have to tape off the fretboard between the frets when using these as they span more than one fret and don't touch the board.  The 400 grit fret erasers will usually remove fine file marks.

If you are so inclined you could tape off the board between frets and use a fine wet & dry paper like P600 or P800 folded and rubbed along the frets with your thumb or forefinger.  I prefer this for removing the fine filing grooves as it is more effective for this task than fret erasers, but your fingers will get pretty dirty. To give the frets a final fine polish you can use one of the fine grit fret erasers or even Brasso on a cloth. 

Thank you so much for the detailed response
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter