Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Amp modeller + FX with random patch generator? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Amp modeller + FX with random patch generator?

What's Hot
I quite like 'happy accidents' in music, so I'm wondering if any of the amp modellers have built-in random patch generators?

(The sort of thing you get in some synths, where you press a button and the synth creates something that you'd probably not make yourself. The results are always hit-n-miss, but sometimes tameable into something useful.)

Ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• More than happy to mess up a few of your painstakingly created patches for you. £10 per patch.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    What a great idea.

Do you have a mfx at the moment? If so maybe put it in as a feature request.

Thinking of something like hx edit software for the helix family, it can't be that hard to build in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Most of the patches on Line 6's own Customtone website are definitely accidents.
    Just not happy ones.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    relic245 said:
    What a great idea.

Do you have a mfx at the moment? If so maybe put it in as a feature request.

Thinking of something like hx edit software for the helix family, it can't be that hard to build in.
    I'd not thought of that. Yes, I suppose it would be trivial for an engineer to do in the editor.

That said, I tend not to use them. The one for the THR that I have isn't that deep anyway, like the THR itself. So ideally it's be a buton or [Shift]+button on the unit itself.
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    I feel like this is more likely to be a feature in software such as Guitar Rig or Amplitube than in hardware (I’ve got a vague nagging feeling that I’ve seen it before somewhere, but I might be thinking of a soft synth).
    Yes, quite easy to find in synths - such as the (hardware) Waldorf Blofeld. With that, there's a limited utility, because a truly random synth patch will often be completely silent or a cacophony that you can't use for harmony. IIRC, a coupe of synths allow you to set limits to avoid those.

With a guitar amp modeller and FX, a randomizer would also need some ground rules, such as sections you can turn off, so that not everything has modulation/etc. Perhaps some probability rules.

This is beginning to sound more like an editor feature.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Random settings?  Get a cat.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Wear a blindfold.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hmmm... a blind cat for extra randoms...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    If you could be arsed, I bet it would be relatively easy to write a piece of software that randomised the settings via MIDI.
    True. Well, beyond my pay-grade, but it's not rocket science.