Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Knackered my Vol pot? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Knackered my Vol pot?

sorbz62sorbz62 Frets: 58
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
I always had massive loss of top end when I rolled the vol pot back on my Charvel DK24 so I bought a treble bleed kit from Northwest guitars. It was quite tight with wires everwhere in the cavity but I was successful in soldering it onto the correct lugs.

The issue now is that, yes, the tone maintains it treble-ness when rolling back but I now have max volume when the pot is completely off, ie it sounds good but all volume returns when the pot is fully off.

Have I knackered the pot or what?  I can't think what I may have done, other than using a shitty soldering iron.

Any advice would be most welcome 

Cheers,
Jim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Photographs of your wiring would help remote diagnosis.

It is possible that you have overheated the innards of the volume pot. Applying excess pressure to the pot shaft can force the wiper and track apart.

It is possible that you have misunderstood the treble bypass wiring instructions and connected it in reverse. For all I know, you and your guitar could be left-handed.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sorbz62sorbz62 Frets: 58
    edited July 2023
    Photographs of your wiring would help remote diagnosis.

It is possible that you have overheated the innards of the volume pot. Applying excess pressure to the pot shaft can force the wiper and track apart.

It is possible that you have misunderstood the treble bypass wiring instructions and connected it in reverse. For all I know, you and your guitar could be left-handed.
    Is it a one-way circuit? I didnt know that. 

I never pressed on the pot at all, just on the lugs to solder the treble bleed kit.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Maybe you dislodged the ground lug/wire of the volume pot? (Someone will be along presently to tell me that wouldn't do that!)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Is this the kit you bought?
    0.001 uf capacitor and 130k resistor.

Yep. Thats the badger.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Dave_Mc said:
    Maybe you dislodged the ground lug/wire of the volume pot? (Someone will be along presently to tell me that wouldn't do that!)
    No, that's exactly what it'll do.  If the third lug isn't grounded, there's nowhere to bleed the signal to, so turning the volume down will have no effect.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The signal should not be bleeding anywhere.

The cap/resistor network is a treble bypass. It allows selected frequencies to bypass the resistance track of the volume pot almost until the control knob is turned down to zero. 

The volume shooting back to maximum when it should be zero suggests either a bad ground connection, a physical short circuit or damage to the resistance track.

By "in reverse", I meant the wrong pair of terminals on the volume pot. The NWG illustration follows the convention of showing the pot as viewed from below. Thus, it is correct for right-handed guitar circuits. 
    Be seeing you.
    Thanks,

I'll take a look again, although I know I have the treble blleed on the correct terminals.

J
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Check to ensure that the bare wire "legs" of the capacitor are not touching any other pot lugs, the body of the pot, any other component, or screening foil/paint.  It is good practice to slide heatshrink tubing onto bare metal legs of capacitors or resistors used in circuits.  It's also very easy to end up with a bad solder connection when you have more than one wire soldered through the eyelet hole of lugs.  It's usually easier removing the nut from a pot and lifting it out of the cavity onto something like a piece of cardboard to work on it than trying to solder down into the control cavity.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Kind of sounds like you have dislodged the earth from the right hand tag somehow.

However I would suggest that you could have had an issue with the tone control bleeding off treble if the feed to the tone control was coming from the left hand tag on the volume pot  
    Swapping to 50s style connection would greatly reduce some of the bleeding away

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/modern-vs-50s-les-paul-wiring?_pos=3&_psq=50&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If the control works normally down to 1 and then jumps back up to full at 0, the pot is damaged - the wiper must be making contact with the track down to 1 or the volume wouldn't go down, so the track can't be completely broken and the ground connection to the terminal must be present. If the wiper then lifts off the track as it reaches 0 - which is what allows the volume to jump up again, the signal is going via the resistor in the treble pass network - then the pot is physically distorted and will need to be replaced.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Dave_Mc said:
    No, that's exactly what it'll do.  If the third lug isn't grounded, there's nowhere to bleed the signal to, so turning the volume down will have no effect.

I did that on a guitar once and the volume didn't turn off. However- as @ICBM rightly says, I've got a feeling (working on pretty hazy memory here) the volume knob just didn't really do anything much at all, rather than worked properly from 10 to 1 but then shot up to full at 0...