Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Semitone.app - Reverb-esq gear for sale web site platform - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Semitone.app - Reverb-esq gear for sale web site platform

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
edited July 2023 in Guitar tFB Trader
First of all has anyone heard of www.semitone.app. https://www.semitone.app/

Anyone used them to buy or sell gear

Any positive/negative comments
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304

Our Story

Semitone founder, Rob Petts is a tech entrepreneur who grew up immersed in the world of music. From a young age, Rob discovered the transformative power of music as he honed his own skills as a musician. His deep connection to the art form and his understanding of the unique bond musicians share with their instruments inspired him to create Semitone.

A quick glance suggests it is a tech bro's Threads to Reverb's Twitter. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    Maybe its to early in its 'launch' to pass to much judgement - But all looks a bit 'page one, book one of Play in a Day' - ie entry level - Not many/any 'recognised' credible retailers - Poor search engine results - Type in to Google even a guitar that is listed on their site ie Ibanez AR100 and not picking up, at my end anyway - Let alone type in LP Custom 

Also fees are the same/similar to Reverb - Surely for a new business it needs to build up its listing and profile before charging the same price

I wish them all the best but all a bit 'lacking' at the moment
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    100%

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • kennyabiskennyabis Frets: 76
    edited July 2023
    They've messaged me a number of times on facebook marketplace listings. Seems their trying to get more people to list on it but yet offering no incentive to actually do so. Oh here come list your ad on our website and help us build its inventory... We'll only charge you a large percentage for doing so...and offer nothing in return as our site has little to no traffic... They obviously want to be a competitor to reverb but even reverb had much lower fees when starting out... They're basically trying to fly before they can even walk... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Even when you read the blurb you can tell it's tech guy who has investors and the ability to build an app and owns a couple of guitars, almost certainly a Silver Sky, but no actual nouse or understanding of the marketplace. 

It's all about him and his 'passion'. Nothing to do with the user experience.  

Reverb was set up by an actual guitar store owner and I think it showed. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    They lost me at "entrepreneur".
    100% he has a blue tick. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    "Together, let's create a harmonious symphony of creativity and passion on Semitone."

Yuk!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited July 2023
    'At Semitone, we pride ourselves on being Europe's largest marketplace for buying and selling new, used, and vintage music gear'.

Really guys? But when I search on the word 'Jazzmaster', there are zero results? Not a one?

Epic.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • gaioshingaioshin Frets: 0
    Amazingly, they don't have an app (at least not on Android) either...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I’m confused….all the amps appear on the same magic carpet & the effects pedals are retail price plus a semitone…… :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Hattigol said:
    'At Semitone, we pride ourselves on being Europe's largest marketplace for buying and selling new, used, and vintage music gear'.

Really guys? But when I search on the word 'Jazzmaster', there are zero results? Not a one?

Epic.
    This smacks of the bedroom dealer “we” to me!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    There are bedroom dealers on Gumtree and FB Marketplace with larger stocks than the entirety of this app. If they want to make an impact they need to invest serious money in marketing to get people to put their instruments for sale there.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    That website design looks like a reject from the Preloved website from the 00s (actually, just googled that, it's still going! And still looks as clunky and annoying as ever it was)
  • That's interesting. I signed up a few weeks ago. It let me list a guitar (it didn't have "Jackson" in it's unordered list of brands).

Then they changed the backend slightly and I couldn't login. Found a bunch of one-time codes in my spam email folder from "Shop at Shopify". Tried logging in again - found that my account is just a basic account with all details removed, including the one listing for the Jackson. 

Tried to register again as a seller (apparently you have to do that separately from the standard user login?!?), and now just received an email stating "Seller Disapproved". 

I'm beginning to think it's one guy, getting quite annoyed and recognising that I'm the same guitar that commented on their targetted Facebook ads with "I did a search and there are two Jazzmasters on the whole site"...