Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pedalboard advice. Keep going or slim down! Advice? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pedalboard advice. Keep going or slim down! Advice?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
edited July 2023 in FX
Hi guys. Here is my pedalboard at the moment. There are a few pedals missing, a tuner and a TC Electronic Nova Delay.
It's a heavy bugger with the flightcase. Needs tidying up obviously as well. 
Main pedals on this are the Memory Man, the Walrus Audio Slo, the Digiverb (could be any standard reverb there) and the distortion, fuzz & overdrive. I would use the reverse on the Memory Man and on the Digiverb, so need to keep those!
Rather than keep going, I am thinking of maybe condensing parts of it.
e.g. 4 cable method.
OD/Dist/Fuzz/Memory Man into HX Stomp, then out to the Slo for example. I need a digital delay set to a specific BPM (Nova Delay)
Any advice on how I could maybe slim down things, which would also mean a lighter pedalboard down the line.
I like having the individual OD etc pedals, so could go RAT, Fuzz and maybe one of those dual OD pedals (T Rex Moller for example)
The HX Stomp reverbs could substitute the Slo and standard reverb, as well as the tremolo and neo clone.
Other option is the Plethora X5 which would have 4 cable option (don't think the Plethora 3 would).
Maybe the Line6 HX Stomp XL could also be a runner here.
I am not really in need of any amp sims etc, which is why I mention the Plethora.
What is missing is some additional pedal like a Csidman glitch type random pedal. I had considered an Eventide Space, but think that might be overkill for me (and over priced!)

pedalboard-not-finished
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    You could fit that lot on a much smaller board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    @fretmeister I know. I may have gone overboard, no pun intended!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304

You can definitely downsize and still have room.

SD-1 substituted for your mystery black pedal

This is a Temple Audio Duo 17. Mount the power supply underneath. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    These videos are swaying me towards a Line 6 FX or Stomp

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I'm a big fan of my Helix - so any HX related kit gets my vote.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    I also love some helix. Most recently stomp + a few pedals.  so much versatility and also can be so simple. Amp + stomp only doing EQ + delay pedal on a stomp loop because twisting knobs is fun. 

edited July 2023
    soma1975 said:

You can definitely downsize and still have room.

SD-1 substituted for your mystery black pedal

This is a Temple Audio Duo 17. Mount the power supply underneath. 

Nicely done! And it would be lighter than what I have. I could potentially lose the tremolo, chorus and digiverb and replace with a multi effects.
    But then I think "what about a wah pedal, what about a volume pedal etc" and the GAS starts again.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    https://www.pedalplayground.com/ ;

great for planning boards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ok, I agree with those saying you could easily cut the physical board in half and mount the PSU underneath. 

But first... what is the board for - home fucking-about, inspiration, do-all for recording sessions, gigging, jams, etc? 

HX is great (genuinely one of my favourite bits of kit) but I don't use it for everything because sometimes a simple 4-5 pedal board is actually more useful because you end up focussing on playing rather than just getting sounds. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    @stickyfiddle at the moment , rehearsal space, and gigging after the summer, hence the case! Just think I could slim it down. I have been experimenting over the last year or so with pedals. Some come in, some go out. I am near the end of the experimentation, and thinking a good swiss army type could be useful.
    HX has a lot of reverbs and delays, and while I would mainly use OD/distortion/fuzz/memory man and reverb, it might be good to have the rest on tap if needed, either for live use or recording etc.
    I have amplitube, so the HX effects or the likes could do, though it's a bigger footprint than the Stomp.
    As I am getting older, and with space restrictions, travelling smart (and light) is going to be the way to go.
    Didn't realise the HX Stomp jumped so much in price the last few years!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ok, so you're clear on your needs - that's great as it gives you something to optimise for. 

Personally I gigged a big Diago Showman for years, then had to schlep it across London (plus a guitar!) for an audition and it almost killed my hands. I swapped to a PT Jr in a soft case the following week and will never go back. Where I can make it work I even prefer a Nano/Nano+

The HX Stomp is a phenomenal little unit to use as an "occasional feature noise" box, so that plus your dirts and SLO would be a great little board imo. If you ever need a wah* or volume you can put it on the floor next to the board. 

*pro tip - you don't need a wah. No-one needs a wah. Wahs are stupid ;) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited July 2023
    @stickyfiddle yep, that's what I am thinking. I will plug away with what I have, just need to decide on Line 6 v Boss etc. Not much to think about in my case I suppose. I won't be using the amp sims (they are handy to have though I suppose). And I think the 3 foot switches should be enough. 
    This might work:
    Rat and Muff into the effects loop and the MM, Csidman, Slo, after the Stomp. Might have room for a standard reverb on the board as well.
    pedalboard-idea
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Didn't realise the HX Stomp jumped so much in price the last few years!
    Exactly what I've been saying over on another thread. I was thinking about replacing my HX FX with a Stomp XL - not at £600 I'm not!!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    @ewal I remember a few years ago, 3 at the most, I was looking at a used one for less than €300 (where I am). They seem to be going for around €500 used now, not sure in UK if used ones are £400+? But I guess people are using Reverb for pricing reference points.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Having had this HX FX break on me, I was erring towards buying new to get the full warranty period, which is where £600 for an XL comes in.

Suspect £400 for a used Stomp isn't far off the mark...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Still undecided! HX Stomp, etc, "better to be looking at it, than looking for it"....