Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm going to make a bass - what hardware - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm going to make a bass - what hardware

What's Hot
Morning
I've got this lovely spalted Beech and Elm Firebird type body on the go and decided it would look great as a bass.
So I've come to you guys for some ideas of hardware to really set it off.
I'm going with a natural back and black grain front with a black burst

Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited July 2023
    Set neck or screwed-on?

Gotoh 201B and Schaller 3D-4 are good. The latter is available with an optional elevator/spacer plate for use with tilted back necks.

The traditional Gibson three-bolt design is good for steeper neck pitch angles. If anything, it obliges a pitch angle to be factored in.

My unfinished GSP Basses Fender-bird project follows the neck angle geometry of a typical Fender.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Funkfingers undecided on neck joint tbh, I have no real preference when I make for stock except that bolt gives more scope for alterations if needs be.
    I made a bass for someone who specified that Gotoh bridge and I really liked the simple modern design. I do also like the j510sj-4 for a bit more of a 'fussy' look, kinda cool. I'm thinking black either way. 
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I used Hipshot ultralite tuners and a Hipshot bridge on mine - all lovely bits of kit. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Indeed. Ultralite 'heads and an ultra-heavy bridge should counteract neck dive.
    Be seeing you.
    I think I used their D-style bridge with ferrules underneath to do through-body stringing. 
  • Sporky said:
    I used Hipshot ultralite tuners and a Hipshot bridge on mine - all lovely bits of kit. 
    I really like the look of them, did they make a noticeable difference to neck dive? 
    It was a scratch build so nothing I can compare with, but there's no dive at all.

My build thread (mostly a mistakes thread) is here if you want a look at the finished doodad and largely disastrous process. 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/102/sporkbasster-1/p1
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    With that body shape and the neck dive it will have even with ultralites I would suggest a short scale.

Then I would suggest the EMG PJ-X set for max headroom, but with the ABCX Active balance control that removes insertion loss. Then the 2 band EQ system.

Compared to a vintage style large plate tuner swapping to a set of 4 Ultralights can save 1/3lb on a 4 string and 1/2lb on a 5.
    The difference is quite amazing because all that weight is removed from the end of the lever.

The Licenced ones are heavier so always get the US ones - they are also reversible if you ever need to make a 2+2 headstock or something instead.

Sandberg lightweight Clover Tuners are now lighter than the Hipshot Ultralights - but Hipshot Y shaped Ultralites are still the lightest of all. If you use 3/8 posts rather than the common fender 1/2 inch then that is another weight saving.

I've put Ultralites on every bass I can fit them on for the last 15 years. My main basses are now Sandbergs that already have their own version so I haven't done it to them.
  • Looks good to me @Sporky ! Love what you did with the body, and I really like the bridge. Shame about the Iroko neck, it's an awesome neck wood IMO.
    Having no dive is always a good point though, nice work
  • @fretmeister thanks for the pickup suggestion too, I'll look into them. I'm confident I can manage the dive issue, I've done it before on the same body shape, 34" scale and modern Gotoh tuners. Would balance perfectly on your knee.
    Great info on the Hipshots, it's the 3/8 I've been looking at today. I'd seen the Lic ones but I try to avoid all Lic products and stick with the real McCoys.