Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Audio interface usb problem - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Audio interface usb problem

What's Hot
Up until recently I've using a Gen.1 Focusrite Scarlett i8i8 as my audio interface. This feeds out to a power amp then into my monitors.

A couple of weeks ago it started to crackle and pop when playing audio files, so I downloaded the latest firmware and installed. All was well for a few days but then the crackling returned with a vengeance. Within a few hours the interface stopped playing any sounds at all. I tried different cables and different usb ports but no luck. Restarts didn't help either.

I'd been thinking of upgrading as the Scarlett was a 8 or 9 years old so I bought a brand new IK Multimedia Axe I/O. I uninstalled all the Focusrite software before I installed the Axe I/O but when I tested it, it had the same problem. It seems that the issue is with the PC usb bus (it's a desktop running Windows 10) and despite deleting all the usb root hubs and restarting so they were reinstalled by Windows and unticking the option that allows them to power down, I've had little joy.

If I disconnect everything then restart, the interface will pop when I start a track, then carry on playing for around a minute and a half before cutting out again. It's massively frustrating and I can't seem to find a solution. Any computer / usb experts here that might have an answer to this problem?

TIA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited July 2023
    drwiddly said:
    Up until recently I've using a Gen.1 Focusrite Scarlett i8i8 as my audio interface. This feeds out to a power amp then into my monitors.

A couple of weeks ago it started to crackle and pop when playing audio files, so I downloaded the latest firmware and installed. All was well for a few days but then the crackling returned with a vengeance. Within a few hours the interface stopped playing any sounds at all. I tried different cables and different usb ports but no luck. Restarts didn't help either.

I'd been thinking of upgrading as the Scarlett was a 8 or 9 years old so I bought a brand new IK Multimedia Axe I/O. I uninstalled all the Focusrite software before I installed the Axe I/O but when I tested it, it had the same problem. It seems that the issue is with the PC usb bus (it's a desktop running Windows 10) and despite deleting all the usb root hubs and restarting so they were reinstalled by Windows and unticking the option that allows them to power down, I've had little joy.

If I disconnect everything then restart, the interface will pop when I start a track, then carry on playing for around a minute and a half before cutting out again. It's massively frustrating and I can't seem to find a solution. Any computer / usb experts here that might have an answer to this problem?

TIA
    Well the first thing is to establish whether the problem is with the laptop or the Scarlett. Do you have another laptop you could use? It sounds like the Scarlett though. Pull the board out and re-solder the usb socket and see if that sorts it out. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    If 2 audio interfaces have had the same issue then it's likely an issue with the PC. 
    Check the USB ports for bent pins. Then unplug anything else from the USB ports. Also unplug the PC and press and hold the power button in for 20 seconds then release it. Then restart the PC. Basically the 5V of the serial bus is monitored and anything trying to draw more than 500mA can cause issues. 

Focusrite interfaces can go faulty though. I bought a faulty one off here cheap and repaired it for my step son. They use an IC to switch / mute  the inputs, a quad one in this instance and repairing it just meant changing the chip. 

I think you would be unlucky to have 2 duff interfaces though so I would try the PC first. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    Thanks @Danny1969, I agree that by process of elimination it must be the PC. I’ve tried 4 different usb cables to all the ports on the PC as well as to a powered hub but it’s not cured it. Also powered the PC down completely as you suggest. I’ll try unplugging everything as you suggest and see if that works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Well, it worked .... for about five minutes then it cut out again. Very frustrating!
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    try putting a new USB card into the PC, you can get em cheap for a spare PCI slot if you have one. That should by pass the motherboards USB connections and give you a fresh base to work from. If the AXE I/O did the same, likely to be the PC USB bus and prob screwed on the motherboard. All is not lost. If its a laptop, could be tricky.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    It might be worth using Performance Monitor on the PC to check you’re not maxing out the CPU or memory. Also check the driver version if there is one.
    Thanks guys, I'll look into the usb card. No way I'm maxing anything on the PC. Most of the time I've been trying to solve this issue, I have nothing else running other than anti virus and a couple of other background apps that use very little memory. Drivers are latest version.