Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Does anyone know what wood this is? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Does anyone know what wood this is?

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding

I'm thinking Iroko, but not really sure as it seems closer grained.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    I can't see the pic.  Is it me or has the post not posted?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I see invisible see-through wood. Very useful if you are going for that certain look. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Sambostar said:
    Iroko
    Uvavu!
    Be seeing you.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
    Sorry forgot public sharing on google photos. 
  • I'd be inclined to say it's not Iroko but some sort of mahogany maybe. Pictures aren't very clear. Got any of the end grain too?
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Certainly could be iroko.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Could be iroko, often difficult to tell in its varnished state but becomes clearer on raw end grain.  I've had quite a bit of "mahogany" given to me that was obviously Iroko once cut.

the 2nd pic is too blurry to say much, but the greyer colour makes me think is not iroko as that often retains it's darkness when left raw  - but that is far from conclusive.
    edited July 2023
    Wonder if it's 'White Mahogany' Eucalyptus acmenoides?  That would be a kicker    The end grains are all smooth as silk and varnished up to a high quality.  @WezV ;Assuming it is Iroko, I've heard that tear out is bad, is it really that rough to work with?  Thinking neck pockets and raised profile edges especially
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited July 2023
    Its can have quite an interlocked grain and is denser and coarser than the usual mahogany variants.

Mainly its the dust that is an issue for me.  It's nasty stuff and it seems to produce a lot of it when routing, even with new bits.  It seems to stick to everything.

I did make an side table/alter out of it a year or two ago as I have quite a bit I have been given. Routing one chambered guitar was enough to put me off it for that.   The side table worked well enough.

Tearout,so I'm thinking Eranu.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    Kind of looks like Teak to me..  Need more examples of the grain..

How hard/heavy is it?