Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tape for holding binding while the glue sets - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tape for holding binding while the glue sets

What's Hot
SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
I bought some glass reinforced tape from eBay and while it doesn't stretch, it doesn't stick either.

I did get some good stuff from G&W a couple of years ago but the adhesive has dried up.

Can anyone recommend some suitable tape available in UK please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    They supply a brown type, I think it's the same stuff Stew Mac sell.

http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/default.asp?

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Thanks Graham.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    I usually use blue masking tape..  Seems to do the job ok..
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    This is the last stuff I got

tesa® PACK Mono-Filament Adhesive Packaging Tape - Highly Resistant Adhesive For Packaging Shipping Boxes and Heavy Cartons up to 30 kg - 50 m x 25 mm - Transparent https://amzn.eu/d/3NkAryO

Works well, needs a bit of heat from a hairdryer to release it and can leave a bit more residue if you are wicking in superglue from the top.  

Rabs said:
    Masking tape doesn't work so well with thicker binding, multi-ply or tighter curves.   

That brown tape from smallwonder is great, a good middle ground between the two

The traditional answer is rope ;)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

Rabs said:
    Masking tape doesn't work so well with thicker binding, multi-ply or tighter curves.   

That brown tape from smallwonder is great, a good middle ground between the two

The traditional answer is rope ;)
    Well yes actually.. I have only done two ply (1mm each) binding.. Works for that but have not done like 5 ply before but I am going to at some point soon, so cheers for that I will look in to better tape  :)
    Well it does depend on glue and binding type too.

Celluloid glued with binding goop needs tape to hold it for a day or two it sets up.  Same with wood binding and wood glue.     Single ply binding pre bent to shape and glued with superglue doesn't need much to hold it on some body shapes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I use the 3m stuff - tartan I think it's called.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Thanks all, after a bit of research I got some Tartan which is holding well. I've only done a dry fit so far.
  • Gibson use canvas rope - shown in the factory walk-throughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w8sNA8wdLA&ab_channel=PremierGuitar  @ 7:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Zes1zolHU&ab_channel=GibsonTV  ; 2.32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zXJtkDstH0&ab_channel=PlayandTradeGuitars  ; 17:30

I also recall them using rubber medical tubing but can't find a video.

edited July 2023
    yeah, inner tubes can work too for that method. 

The last video is best as it talks about glue and plastic type, which will directly influence how you hold it.   They are using a solvent based glue that will melt the binding, this then needs to be held in place for a long time as the solvents are released and it all hardens up again ready for cleaning up  It will be in rope for a day or two, and rope will hold better than most tapes for that length of time..  Also note that they are not heating or pre-bending the binding to get it round the tighter curves.  The solvents are doing all the work, note they soak the whole strip.

Another method popular with some builders is to tape it all in place then add drops of water thin superglue to the top edge between the tape. Capillary action does its thing and you can take it all off within 15 minutes.  Or you can glue and tape working your way round.   It won't need much force to hold it in place. You loose the gap filling benefits of the first method - but it can work well with an accurate channel, and opens up your options for materials you can use.

Whichever method being used in the smaller workshop, it pays to have some strong tape near by for the trickier areas.

also a note on tape removal if going for a stronger tape - gentle heat and pulling it at 45 degrees are important to help prevent tear out

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    Even after I've taped mine I'll use 1 inch twill tape to bind the body, especially carved tops and around the cutaway and horn.

I use the reinforced packing tape 10mm wide, won't stick with acetone dripping all over it lol.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)