Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Alan Sparhawk live Pedalboard. Identify pedal? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Alan Sparhawk live Pedalboard. Identify pedal?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
edited July 2023 in FX
Anyone eagled eyed enough to be able to identify the pedal on top left. I guess it is a Zvex pedal, begins with an "S"....

Alan-Sparhawk-Pedalboard-Pitchfork-Music-Festival-2022
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    edited July 2023
    Is that only 3 knobs?

Super Duper?
    OCtane?

Zvex habit of doing hand painted pedals that are all different does not help!

EDIT: DOH - did you mean the one under that?

Top left of the pic rather than the board?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    Sorry, yep the one underneath, top left of pic! Other two are octane 3 and lofi junky I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'll guess Box of Rock, but it's far from clear!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I have a quick look on the custom paint job pages on Zvex website but there's thousands of the damn things without any cataloguing at all.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Think it’s actually a B - not an S - and is thusly a Box Of Rock - like this one -

https://reverb.com/item/16684501-zvex-box-of-rock-hand-painted
    That looks far closer than anything I can find.

I've never tried a BOR and of course now I want to! :D Stupid GAS.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Alan has been known to use both the Octane, and especially the Box of Rock for many years, so neither of these suggestions are surprising. I think he also used a SHO a lot.
    I have no idea who he is. I don't think I've ever heard the name before.
    Whitecat said:
    Think it’s actually a B - not an S - and is thusly a Box Of Rock - like this one -

https://reverb.com/item/16684501-zvex-box-of-rock-hand-painted
    Good detective work thanks ! :)
    edited July 2023
    Low can be an acquired taste but his other project Retribution Gospel Choir might please those more into straight ahead guitar stuff in the style of Crazy Horse 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    edited July 2023
    Good to see the mystery was solved! 

His solo stuff is worth checking out IMO. 
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 86
    Alan has been known to use both the Octane, and especially the Box of Rock for many years, so neither of these suggestions are surprising. I think he also used a SHO a lot.
    He used an SHO as both a boost and a splitter at the end of his chain when he was running stereo Tweeds combos. That said, I've seen him play teles, LPs, and Danelectros through all kinds of backline and he pretty much sounds like himself. Incredible control of the instrument - one of his tricks is to crank the gain up high until the amp is compressing and then play very softly, without a pick, up by the neck so he can make small nuances pop out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Absolutely masterful. That live version of Do You Know How to Waltz? 
    Its not his most sophisticated playing but it just doesn’t get any better 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Is that only 3 knobs?

Super Duper?
    OCtane?

Zvex habit of doing hand painted pedals that are all different does not help!

EDIT: DOH - did you mean the one under that?

Top left of the pic rather than the board?
    I want to build one of these but I already have

1. Too many unfinished builds
    2. About sixty fuzz pedals

I am drowning in fuzz. Which some may argue is the ideal death
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 96
    I saw Low in Dublin last year and was absolutely blown away by his playing; incredibly dynamic and so tasteful.  All his gear seemed very modest indeed - there's probably a lesson in that, for me anyway!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I've got diy builds of an Octane and SHO and a Red Panda particle because of Alan. Been a fan of his playing since The Great Destroyer.

So sad he lost Mimi and Low are no more.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 96
    edited July 2023
    ewal said:
    I've got diy builds of an Octane and SHO and a Red Panda particle because of Alan. Been a fan of his playing since The Great Destroyer.

@ewal ;; It really was so tragic about Mimi. What a body of work she has left to be remembered by.
    ewal said:

I had a Red Panda and a Dano Convertible and a Boss Synth pedal , because of Alan. Sold them all, but will revisit the Red Panda and Dano in the future!
    Agree, sad that Low are no more.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 466
    Been obsessed with this track for years

• FazerFazer Frets: 466
    The amount of control he has with such a minimalist sound

I need to revisit Retribution Gospel Choir this week
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited July 2023
    As a big Sparhawk fan, I can say with confidence that he regularly uses (of the ZVex pedals):

Octane 3 Fuzz
    Super Hard On Boost
    Lo Fi Loop Junky analog looper

But that red one doesn't look like any of them. Know he's not a big user of distortion or overdrive pedals... but maybe that's changed??
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Pretty sure it's a Box of Rock. He used that in some of the IG live shows during lockdown. What a band... Sigh...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter