Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Strymon Zuma -v- Cioks DC7? Any photos of the bottom of boards? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Strymon Zuma -v- Cioks DC7? Any photos of the bottom of boards?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
I'm still investigating power supplies. 

I like the idea of expandable stuff like the Zuma and the DC7. The DC7 appears to be a lot smaller, but also uses non-standard plugs on the power supply end.

Is there any appreciable difference between them? Aside from the number of outputs - I'd have to get an expander either way. I will be using a Pedaltrain PT2, and maybe a PT Junior next to it if I need the space.

Anyone got any photos of the under-board cable management for either of these supplies on a Pedaltrain board?

ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    This is the bottom of a board I’m in the process of re-doing, Ive taken a couple of pedals off but the wiring is still in place:

It’s a Pedaltrain 3. This is the top of the board before I started messing with it:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    The Cioks gear really is small compared to their competitors!

Are the units velcro'd on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Big fan of the Zuma here but don't have pics on my phone. Will take one when I get home. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    Dual-locked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited July 2023
    I have a DC8 and a DC5 (on a Nano), you have to drill a couple of holes in the rails and the power supplies are mounted with small screws - rock solid. 

https://i.imgur.com/HnISDW6.jpg

Yes, I need to sort out some cable clips!

The phono plugs don’t matter as you get a load of cables in the box and all sorts of other options are easily available. I’m  a big fan of Cioks stuff.
    In the name of all that is holy - why didn't Strymon put the 24V linking sockets in a more sensible place on the expansion units? In on the left, out on the right sort of thing.

Then the output from the large bass station would be right next to the input on the expansion and would make cable management neater.
    In the name of all that is holy - why didn't Strymon put the 24V linking sockets in a more sensible place on the expansion units? In on the left, out on the right sort of thing.

Then the output from the large bass station would be right next to the input on the expansion and would make cable management neater.
    That's a fair criticism. But in their defense they did design it so the IEC mains cable can plug in from the front edge of a pedaltrain through the gap between the bars. 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1170
    I have a DC8 and a DC5 (on a Nano), you have to drill a couple of holes in the rails and the power supplies are mounted with small screws - rock solid. 

https://i.imgur.com/HnISDW6.jpg

Yes, I need to sort out some cable clips!

The phono plugs don’t matter as you get a load of cables in the box and all sorts of other options are easily available. I’m  a big fan of Cioks stuff.
    I have a DC7 and a 4 on a Harley Benton board. Both held in place with double lock. Seems solid. 

I was initially sceptical about the use of phono plugs on the cables, but they are a lot more solid than regular plugs.
    My Classic JR with Zuma. Hindsight tells me it would've been useful to leave enough of a gap to the left of the Zuma to feed cables through on that side as well, but it's not quite annoying enough to warrant drilling more holes.

And this is the mains socket

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Incidentally, I have recently had to replace broken dc barrel sockets on a TC Polytune and a Vox Mini 3. I think the phono connectors used by Cioks are much sturdier.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I decided to order a DC7.
    I note that it comes with a 2 way and a 3 way daisy chain so I'll see how I get on with that before thinking about an expander unit.

• Good choice  :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Btw they sell a bracket to attach the unit under pedaltrain.  It's all stay in place by friction, basically the screw physically pushed into the metal.  So line it up before you secure it as it will mark it.

I saw that - I ordered one of those brackets too.
    Ooo - Out for Delivery.

Looking forward to building the board over the weekend.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    How are you finding it?
    I’ve been on holiday so haven’t built the board yet.

Annoyingly I can’t use the bracket. My boards are older models where the rear piece has the 2 holes rather than rails. It’s a larger bit of metal with less for clearance. Using the bracket would mean the edge of the supply touching the floor and bending the bracket.

So, Dual Lock it is!
    Annoyingly my Dual Lock is late.

Still out for delivery after an ETA of this morning. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I've got the DC7 and the Cioks 4 Expander, personally I think you've made the right choice! I had another older Cioks supply previously and the new ones with variable voltage on all outlets are just superb. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

There's still other pedals that I really want to use, but this will do for the moment. I've got the DC7 underneath and using some splitter cables to power all 10 items.

There's some very trad and some very silly noises available on this.

I need to play with the placement a bit as the low profile of the EBS makes it a nightmare to reach the 2 switches. It really needs to go on the edge of the board. I won't start cable tying the stuff underneath until I have decided on it all.

I think I will have to move up to use my larger board instead and then get a Cioks expander too. I'm glad the gap between the rows is big enough to be able to plug the Source Audio pedals into a laptop and deep edit the settings. The C4 really needs that. Sometimes I think about swapping that for the Boss SY-1 just for ease of use.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited August 2023
    Bass board? Looks fun. What you reckon re C4 vs SY-1?
    I'd like to try the SY-1 instead of the C4. The C4 really needs a lot of tweaking via the app or with a laptop, and the app is now a pain in the arse with iPhones not having a headphone out anymore.