Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Arena Gigs? Why bother? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Arena Gigs? Why bother?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    prowla said:
    I like to be able to see the act I've gone to "see", rather than watch them on a TV; if I have to watch them on a screen (or they don't even have screens), then what's the point of being there?
    I've been to a few gigs where the sound was awful which made me question the point of going: Linkin Park at the O2, Mars Volta at somewhere in London, Marilyn Manson at the Brixton Academy.
    If you can't see them that's a production design issue rather than a venue issue. 

But in any case I'd argue the communal experience of a Springsteen or U2 gig is the point. It doesn't matter where you are in the venue; everyone is part of a collective, communal thing that cannot be replicated in any other way. Maybe that isn't true of other acts
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    I think it's true of other acts - Blur certainly, Pearl Jam  and The Cure (of recent gigs I've been at) but agree with your general "community experience" sentiment 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    I'm not a fan of Stadium gigs and Def Leppard/Motley Crue had certainly taken a gamble that they could fill one here in UK, and the sight of half empty arena floors is not good for a concert vibe.

Only certain bands can put on the kind of spectacle that you need for a Stadium
    Muse, Pink Floyd, Queen, Kiss or Rammstein most likely 

People rave about Queen at Wembley Stadium in '86 (Kind of Magic tour) and after Live Aid it made sense for them to play there, but as a die hard Queen fan it was far from their best shows - especially compared to the dates on the Works tour at Wembley Arena  two years before which was a much more intense experience.

I saw Kiss at the O2 last week (with some trepidation given he state of Paul's voice on the last tour I saw them on), and they were great . The PA was plenty loud enough and clear enough, and the cameras and screens worked just great - clearest screen images I've ever seen at a gig. Maybe the same went for Maiden's gigs there later in the week - which were good from what I have heard.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I went to see The Who do Quadrophenia at Earls Court, before Entwhistle died. Seems like it was 1996 (according to Google).  

My mate and I sat right at the back, but the sound was great. Was a bit shit watching on a massive screen, as we couldn’t really see much from where we were sitting, but I remember enjoying the gig. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Blur have a streamed gig on iPlayer on 18th July for anyone who would like to see them on a small screen whilst nestled on the sofa.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The first name band show I attended was Pink Floyd The Wall at Earl's Court - a production scaled to fit the venue.

Possibly, my favourite show was Living Colour, in a tiny upstairs bar, at a club in Cardiff. Anyone who ever watched their videos Primer and Time Tunnel will know that they kick major league ass in small venues.
    Be seeing you.
    CHRISB50 said:
    I went to see The Who do Quadrophenia at Earls Court, before Entwhistle died. Seems like it was 1996 (according to Google).  

My mate and I sat right at the back, but the sound was great. Was a bit shit watching on a massive screen, as we couldn’t really see much from where we were sitting, but I remember enjoying the gig. 
    I was front row for The Who in 2014(?) after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. At least 10k people and bloody brilliant :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Like many people who grew up on small venues I don’t like stadium gigs. I saw Bowie at a club gig two weeks before the Hammersmith show where he announced the end of Ziggy Stardust. I was front of stage, eight feet from Ronson, and even closer to Bowie. after that there’s no way I wanted to see him 200 feet away at a stadium gig. Last month our drummer went to see Elton John. His seat was 100 yards behind him. OK, he can tick the “Seen Elton” box. I’d rather watch Glastonbury on iPlayer.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Saw Maiden at The O2 on Saturday - apart from being stranded at Waterloo on the way home (solved by a 200 quid Uber trip), it was a great show.   
    However, I hate arena gigs but  they are the only band I will see in a big venue like the O2.  Any other band seems a bit lost in such a huge room… but Maiden solve that by having such a brilliant stage set every time.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited July 2023
    I'm sure it's possible for an arena or stadium gig to be a fantastic experience, but the best gigs I remember were all at places like the Marquee and the Astoria.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    I used to go out with a girl, shared a mortgage with her on a flat. The house she grew up in mostly was next door (although some way away) from the home of Kenney Jones.

I never heard him drumming down there but I did have a chat and a pint with him in the nearby pub.
    Not sure why I've told that story.

Stadium gigs aren't for me but I understand they can work well. As you were...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited July 2023
    I’ve only been to a couple of stadium gigs - the Eagles in 1996 and Springsteen this year - and hugely enjoyed both. The atmosphere is very different from an indoor gig, even a very big one, but it’s also *completely* different from seeing it on TV, even if you spend more time watching the big screens than the miniature figures two or three hundred yards away. In some ways the atmosphere was actually better at Springsteen when I was right near the back in the high stands than at the Eagles when I was about halfway back. The sound wasn’t as good at Springsteen - it was flawless at the Eagles, even though that was a couple of decades ago - but more than good enough once they’d sorted out (what I think was) the relay tower timing.

I really don’t get the dismissive attitude. Of course it’s not the same as seeing a band up close in a little club… that’s part of the point. There’s room for both and one doesn’t have to be like the other for both to be good. The Eagles in particular was a perfect experience for me because it felt exactly like seeing and hearing a real version of the Eagles Live album I’ve been listening to since I was a young teenager - seeing them at an indoor gig wouldn’t actually have been the same.

I’ve just had a scary thought - I saw the Eagles in 1996, which was only 20 years after the original Eagles Live recordings from 1976. (And only 16 years after the 1980 ones.) Those events are now much closer in time to each other than 1996 is to now…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    MAny of the best gis I've seen have been things like Monster Magnet at the Underworld, Sepultura at the Marquee, At The Gates at the boston music rooms, Kyuss at the Borderline.

Of the big stages it's only really bands like Maiden, Scorpions and AC/DC that have been able to make them work. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
     I can't be arsed with Stadium Gigs. 

I'm also ruling out Rock City in Nottigham now unless it is a bucket list band.  Been to loads of gigs there, but it seems like they push their 2000 capacity to the absolute limit for every gig now.

However, I went to 2 gigs at The Hairy Dog in Derby last weekend which has a capacity of 500.  It was spot on, despite seeing bands I wasn't that bothered about.

Friday was a band I had no interest in called As Sirens Fall.   I thought they put on a bloody good show, and the ones who were interested got to have a good chat with them after the gig.

Sunday was Electric six which cost £20.  The 2 support acts were worth the price of admission alone.  The first of it was working so hard to keep the crowd entertained in a way an established band never would. We managed to get right to the front for the whole thing without any stress.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    My favourite gigs have been at places like the Marquee, Torrington, Nashville, 100 Club, Town & Country, Brecknock,Royal Standard. 

I loathe the Wembley Barn/Arena. The only good sound I've heard there was when I saw Aerosmith and I was six rows from the front. (I started a new job the next morning and they were worried that I had managed to hide deafness in my interviews.)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    scrumhalf said:
    I loathe the Wembley Barn/Arena. The only good sound I've heard there was when I saw Aerosmith and I was six rows from the front. (I started a new job the next morning and they were worried that I had managed to hide deafness in my interviews.)
    I can't help feeling most of the people who don't like big gigs have either been to gigs by shit bands who don't actually perform, or just in plain old shit venues like Wembley Arena which should've been razed to the ground years ago
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    scrumhalf said:
    My favourite gigs have been at places like the Marquee, Torrington, Nashville, 100 Club, Town & Country, Brecknock,Royal Standard. 

I played the Marquee (charring cross version) 100 Club, T&C (as forum), Brecknock (as Unicorn and the royal Standard. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    everyone is part of a collective, communal thing that cannot be replicated in any other way.
    Especially in the VIP/corporate sections of arena/stadium gigs!