Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Where can one get a plain 3mm top for a guitar? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Where can one get a plain 3mm top for a guitar?

What's Hot
I'm sure I've asked this before but I've been searching and just can't find a thread. Anyone know a source to buy such a thing? I'm making a guitar body and I'm going to chamber it a bit and add an f-hole. There are plenty of fancy tops around but I just want something plain that I'm going to spray.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Are we talking solid or plywood?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    I can't remember where I got the last lot from, but I use constructional veneer - which is usually 2.5mm-3.5mm thick.  If you google 'constructional veneer' you should be able to find some - in the meantime I'll try to remember where my last lot was from.
    edited July 2023
    The Wood Veneer Hub sell 1.5mm and 2.5mm constructional veneers.  I would have thought 2.5mm would be plenty thick enough...

www.thewoodveneerhub.co.uk/collections/constructional-wood-veneer

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    The Wood Veneer Hub sell 1.5mm and 2.5mm constructional veneers.  I would have thought 2.5mm would be plenty thick enough...

Many thanks!

Would you do a 2 piece top or a one piece top?
    axisus said:

Would you do a 2 piece top or a one piece top?
    If you can get a wide enough sheet, then may as well be a one piece, assuming it's flat topped.  But a centre joined two piece is also fine.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    Just buy a cheap acoustic back set two pieces of mahogany around 5mm join them and you are good to go. I have not used constructional veneers but would want 4-5mm for a top especially if pots were being mounted.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    TopShop
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    If you give Andrew or Lewis a call at DD's they will have plain caps in a huge variety of wood, they will also sand it to whatever thickness you need.

https://luthierssupplies.co.uk/.    01435 812315

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    GSPBASSES said:
    If you give Andrew or Lewis a call at DD's they will have plain caps in a huge variety of wood, they will also sand it to whatever thickness you need.

https://luthierssupplies.co.uk/.    01435 812315
    Thanks for that, a much better website now!