Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Replacement CLIFF Jack Socket - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Replacement CLIFF Jack Socket

What's Hot
Anyone know where I can get hold of an S2/BBM/PCC jack socket like this one:

(without all the tarnish and gak of course!)

It's to replace the hp/lineout jack on an 80's Marshall Bass 12. If I can't get one of these, would a BBB (Break-Break-Break) version be a suitable substitution? If I go BBB, my thought is that it would just affect how the headphone/ lineout is switched, but as I don't use this, I'm hoping it won't matter.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Fix that and you would be Wired For Sound. :grin:
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
     BBB will work, but it will defeat the speaker switching. The M switch on the tip contact turns the speaker back on when the plug is in all the way for line output, having been turned off by the B switch in the sleeve contact, so it then also won't turn off when the plug is halfway in for headphones.

It's a really silly way to combine the two functions - to be honest, if you don't use the jack at all and the problem is the speaker cutting out because the sleeve switch is tarnished, I would just jumper across the switch underneath the PCB and not bother replacing the jack. If you want to still use the line output function, jumper across the tip switch instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Fix that and you would be Wired For Sound. :grin:

Ah yes, very good!

ICBM said:
     BBB will work, but it will defeat the speaker switching. The M switch on the tip contact turns the speaker back on when the plug is in all the way for line output, having been turned off by the B switch in the sleeve contact, so it then also won't turn off when the plug is halfway in for headphones.

It's a really silly way to combine the two functions - to be honest, if you don't use the jack at all and the problem is the speaker cutting out because the sleeve switch is tarnished, I would just jumper across the switch underneath the PCB and not bother replacing the jack. If you want to still use the line output function, jumper across the tip switch instead.

I'll stick a BBB in!
    I just did an experiment, and with a bit of care with some small pliers it's possible to convert a BBB into a BBM - it's not the prettiest job and it's a bit of a fiddle to get it just right, but it does work!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

BBM_jack.jpg 159.2K
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    You have weird carpet. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    You have weird carpet. 
    lol :D 

Thinking about it, it also should be possible to heat out the old M contact (push it upwards), pull the new B contact out (downwards - the contact will bend round), and replace it with the M.

• Sporky said:
    You have weird carpet. 

I bet Cliff's got carpet like that! No wonder he's still a batchelor boy ;-)

Thanks @ICBM - I'll play it safe and go with a BBB!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Sporky said:
    You have weird carpet. 
    Quilted for comfort … deep piles? :relieved: 
    Be seeing you.