Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). shoegaze effect - constructive advice appreciated - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

shoegaze effect - constructive advice appreciated

What's Hot
JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 414
looking to put toe in water of this sound / genre as something else in the tone palette - found the Catalinbread FX40 Soft Focus Reverb and think it sounds rather good - but what are you guys out there using as an alternatives apart from the Yamaha FX500?

cheers for looking and sharing 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• The Rainger Reverb-X gives you a nice big reverb that can be faded in using the expression. Has a great distortion, gate and dark settings too. Plus it’s tiny and looks cool 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Reverb and delay before dirt. Reverse reverb is good too. There are videos on YouTube on how to get the shoegaze sound and good pedals for it. Check 'em out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 273
    Zoom multistomp if you want to try reverse reverb affordably 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Keeley Loomer is the other purpose built shoegaze pedal IIRC. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Lebarque said:
    Reverb and delay before dirt. Reverse reverb is good too. There are videos on YouTube on how to get the shoegaze sound and good pedals for it. Check 'em out.

Yup - the fundament is reverb into dirt. Any modulation should also be before the dirt so it smooshes in.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    My son uses the EHX Oceans 11 and it sounds very impressive indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited July 2023
    I use plugins like eventide black hole, Valhalla Reverb, and Aether. If you want to stick to pedals though, the red panda context V2 is based on old rackmounts and has a good reverse reverb setting. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    edited July 2023
    This channel is good for shoegaze like pedal combinations. 

And this one

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    I’ve a fender reflecting pool that I keep meaning to pop up for sale, I suspect it would be awesome for shoegaze stuff.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 250
    Keeley Parallax has the (reverse) reverb from the Loomer combined with a delay.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 414
    ewal said:
    This channel is good for shoegaze like pedal combinations. 

And this one

what was first link please 
    Sorry, I think I messed the links up, trying to link to a channel instead of a video. The channel is Raccoon Point Studios AVM. He puts out lots of videos with a shoegaze vibe. Here he is demoing the pedal in question. Hopefully the link works this time.

• For shoegaze or similar I’ve always found it better to run my drives/ fuzzes AFTER the reverb. In my experience (I’m sure other will tell me I’m wrong) this feels much more dynamic. The touch sensitivity will dictate how much reverb I have and then the amount of reverb will impact how heavy it sounds, as the wet signal is completely being distorted- great for “wall of sound” stuff. I’ve never gone back.

As others have said, a reverse reverb will go a long way. 
    Also worth checking out the Walrus Slo which has a whammy- like bend down in the Reverb tail which helps with that big washy Kevin Shields thing 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    I use a Mooer Ocean Machine Devin Townsend with a fuzz. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Keeley Loomer if you want most of it in one.

A decent fuzz plus a nice reverb / delay.

The Digitech Polara has some great shoegaze options.

re the polara - any specific recommendations ?
    The Walrus Melee is another shoegaze in a box type pedal. I haven't seen a lot about it online, maybe a bit gimmicky with the joystick control. I like this demo video, especially because he plays Swervedriver - Duel as one of his demo tracks!

JMP220478 said:

re the polara - any specific recommendations ?
    It has a reverse setting but it is fairly limited....however ive used a lot of the different reverbs on that pedal just to set up a good swirly reverb. Once you mix it with a delay it works well.

But for a specific all in one, definitely the Keeley Loomer.
    cheers guys - I'm now lost in a mix of verb delay verb with fuzz thrown in for good measure 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    There's a video on YT on putting together a cheap shoegaze setup. Pretty convincing and cheap! I think the Soft Focus pedal could take the place of a few individual pedals, so you could combine it with a delay and fuzz or a Blues Driver, something like that.

Quite enjoyed this video

^ that video makes me more curious about a reverse reverb. I'm currently toying with a pedalboard re-jig and thinking about building it up so I have two basic effects chains, to emulate a two guitarist band for my recordings. (Yes I'm Billy no-mates). Think I might try reverse reverb in one of the chains.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    ewal said:
    ^ that video makes me more curious about a reverse reverb. I'm currently toying with a pedalboard re-jig and thinking about building it up so I have two basic effects chains, to emulate a two guitarist band for my recordings. (Yes I'm Billy no-mates). Think I might try reverse reverb in one of the chains.
    Interested in hearing the results!
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    Also, I wonder if experimenting with the volume pedal placement might yield interesting results. e.g. placing it after the drives, but before the delays and reverbs.
    edited July 2023
    I've been fiddling more with the Keeley Loomer - my word the overall quality of this pedal is fantastic.

The 3 verbs are lovely, and the fuzz is excellent.

Putting the fuzz AFTER the verb with the button on the top right makes a great difference. 

It really is instant My Blood Val/Slowdive.
    ewal said:
    Interested in hearing the results!
    No thread hijack intended but this my fantasy effect chain work in progress. Chain one is close to what I have now and know. Chain two is a deliberate effort to have a quiet/loud awash with modulation and reverb shoegaze type chain to compliment chain one.

I think I'm possibly going a bit effects mad...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter