Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I don't know much about the Sweet - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I don't know much about the Sweet

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
The Sweet - the band. I was too young for them really, I 'discovered' charts music around 1977 I guess. I remember being blown away by Ballroom blitz though when I heard it. I never looked into the band though as I didn't like blokes in make-up (still don't!).

Anyway, I just had it in my head that they were maybe a slightly 'artificial' band, obviously without looking into them at all all these years, until now ....

For some reason today I was faffing around on Youtube looking at 70s music (as I'm having a bit of a 70s thing right now), and I thought I'd look up Sweet live. Well, blow me down, they were a kick ass band live! How's this for a ballsy song with attitude from 1974:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    They were almost two bands at the same time, having hit singles written by Chinn and Chapman, then filling the rest of their albums with rock songs they wrote themselves.  I don't think they were so great that I'd go and collect all their albums, but they were certainly a "proper" rock band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 214
    There was a TV series back in the early 2000s where Gene Simmons of Kiss taught children about rock music. I said to my dad that as far as I could tell we didn't really have Kiss over here. He replied "we didn't need Kiss, we had the Sweet". I don't think it was intended as a compliment to either band. I think about that and chuckle every time they are mentioned 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    Love is like Oxygen. My favourite of theirs.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    axisus said:
    The Sweet - the band. I was too young for them really, I 'discovered' charts music around 1977 I guess. I remember being blown away by Ballroom blitz though when I heard it. I never looked into the band though as I didn't like blokes in make-up (still don't!).

Anyway, I just had it in my head that they were maybe a slightly 'artificial' band, obviously without looking into them at all all these years, until now ....

For some reason today I was faffing around on Youtube looking at 70s music (as I'm having a bit of a 70s thing right now), and I thought I'd look up Sweet live. Well, blow me down, they were a kick ass band live! How's this for a ballsy song with attitude from 1974:

That was a hoot!
    The band didn't take themselves too seriously, which is always a good idea.
    I think the singer got badly beaten up once when a gang decided they didn't like blokes wearing makeup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Sweet must be one of the most ripped off bands of all time.

They were the template for so many bands - falsetto backing vocals, silly costumes, catchy riffy hits.

"Alexander Graham Bell" must be one of the weirdest singles of all time. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Slade, Sweet and T-Rex is what got me into music and the desire to play guitar - aged 13/14 around 1973/74 - So music of my youth, hence I've still got a soft spot for them when I hear them on the radio
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    The 70's were officially the worst decade in history for dancing.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Fantastic Band. Get your listening gear round this one @axisus ;

It wasn't a Single but is fantastic and quite a "heavy" track. If this don't get you pumping, nowt will :)

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Set me free was covered by Heathen.

Burning is heavy as lead
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Reverend said:
    Set me free was covered by Heathen.

Burning is heavy as lead
    I'll be on it this weekend.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Love is like Oxygen. My favourite of theirs.  
    I’ve been familiar with that song since the 1970s but only realised remarkably recently that it was the same Sweet who did Block Buster, Ballroom Blitz and Teenage Rampage.

It doesn’t sound like the same band at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Is Sweet's Brian Connelly related to the actor who played Taggart - Mark McManus
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Is Sweet's Brian Connelly related to the actor who played Taggart - Mark McManus
    The Wikipedia entry sums it up nicely:

Connolly was born in 1945 in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire. His mother was a teenage waitress, Frances Connolly, who left him in a Glasgow hospital as an infant whilst he was possibly suffering from meningitis. The identity of his biological father was never made public. Connolly was fostered at the age of two by Jim and Helen McManus of Blantyre, South Lanarkshire and took their family name. After inadvertently discovering his lineage, he eventually reverted to the name Connolly. The McManuses were the family of Mark McManus, of Taggart fame. Both men perceived a resemblance between them, and supposed McManus's father to have also been Connolly's.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited July 2023
    Desolation Boulevard is a fab album.  Live At The Marquee 1986 is good fun, and Andy Scott's Sweet came out with New York Connection (covers) and Isolation Boulevard (re-recording of DB) in 2012 and 2020 respectively.  I love both.  They were a great band.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Their B SIDES are VERY heavy and QUEEN like and showcase a fine bunch of underrated vocalists and musicians

It just so happens their COMPLETE A&B side super duper rare CD is for sale in Hootses CD sale in MISC ;)
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tae be or not tae be
    Sweet do Purple!

tae be or not tae be