Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD! - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD!

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
Ok it was a week or two ago actually, but I've been busy. 
Due to needing a new roof I've had to sell my Gibson J35 among other things, but luckily it went to a great  guy who's also a good player, who will gig it far more than I ever did.

Consequently I needed a gigging electro which wasn't as fragile or valuable, and I also wanted to go smaller, as full-size acoustics are playing havoc with my arthritic hands due to playing angles. 

Behold, the £199 Hartwood Villanelle, a 14-fret parlour with a pretty good sounding Fishman preamp. It's cheap, sounds great and has instantly become the guitar I grab first when working at home.
I loved my Gibson, but this just feels less precious, more throw in a gigbag and go. 

The fretwork is great as is the intonation, it just needed a tiny fettle of the nut slots.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Nice looking guitar. Is it solid spruce top and laminate mahogany back and sides?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Nice, that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    edited July 2023
    Looks the business. Fishman pre-amp too!  :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    munckee said:
    Nice looking guitar. Is it solid spruce top and laminate mahogany back and sides?
    It is, and it projects really well. 

I've just checked the spec and see Gear4music have bunged an extra 30 quid on the price sometime in the last two weeks.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited July 2023
    As the owner of several stupidly expensive guitars, I really don’t want to hear about guitars that sound great for £199 ☹️

But congrats anyway :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    That looks great! What's the neck profile like?
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    It looks great. I love the vintage vibe.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    well done on two levels

#1 on a nice acoustic

#2 its not a fucking dreadnought 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Lol at not a dreadnought :) Yes, looks great!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Very cool - and it probably sounds, and almost certainly plays, better than the guitars which inspired it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited July 2023
    Nice, although from the front it looks as if it is still in a case... 
    How anyone can make a nice looking, good sounding guitar that also has £50 of electronics in for that price, is beyond me.
    Enjoy.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @p90fool £199??

Solid top, intonation good, sounds good, plays well...can't be anything but a winner.

Have fun with it :) 
  • grayngrayn Frets: 769
    Sweet guitar.  Glad it sounds as good as it looks.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Wife bought me a Parlour guitar for Christmas. Short scale, comfortable neck and huge sound (for the size). I am a little guy, so it’s a much better fit than a Dreadnought. 

Congratulations on your spectacular new Parlour. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    The Thinking Man’s Gretsch Jim Dandy (looks like better woods).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Apologies for being a downer but it looks so good and is so well specced for £200 or even £250, you have to ask wether there might be a short cut somewhere. Maybe that does not in fact exist, but it would be my first or second thought.
    edited July 2023
    Well damn, I'll have a look inside and get back to you  :D
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    As @Kittyfrisk said, at first glance that double light binding makes it look as though it's still in it's case!
    Looks good though. Would love to hear it.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited July 2023
    Apologies for being a downer but it looks so good and is so well specced for £200 or even £250, you have to ask wether there might be a short cut somewhere. Maybe that does not in fact exist, but it would be my first or second thought.
    £200 far eastern guitars are often fantastic quality. I bought a Loar (albeit ten years ago) for £200 that’s really well made - bone nut & saddle, lovely grain on the woods, and well set up from the box. A couple of people I know have Tanglewoods that cost £120 & £180 - both great guitars that are played a lot by their owners. The shortcut on those is a Micarta fretboard - but Gibson Les Paul Customs had the same fretboard material for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    At £200, designed here & made in the far east I would expect to find a decent quality guitar? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    Congrats @p90fool That looks fun.

Message here is finding a stunner no longer equates to price in 2023. We have such a choice of instruments and manufacturers that it is an achievable aim, with research and shopping around, to find great guitars downmarket.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    Purdy!  I hope it’s still fun a month or so in.
  • I picked up a used Jim Dandy once but it felt almost 'plastic' like rather than wood. I wasn't impressed at all.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Lovely! I missed this first time around. 

Though i take umbrage at @Berties "boo dreadnoughts" sentiment, I do love a little mahogany parlor almost as much 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Really like the look of that! Nice one.
  • I picked up a used Jim Dandy once but it felt almost 'plastic' like rather than wood. I wasn't impressed at all.

Who asked?
    Its a forum with an exchange of views,both positive and negative,on a variety of guitar related subjects. My experience is as valid as others and their positive ones. It helps with balance as we all have different styles and tendencies when it comes to choosing,buying and playing our instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    I picked up a used Jim Dandy once but it felt almost 'plastic' like rather than wood. I wasn't impressed at all.

Who asked?
    Well I'm the OP and the Jim Dandy was on my shortlist before I bought this one, so I find it interesting to discuss similar guitars. 

Not just interesting in fact, it's essential to me as my location means I buy everything online and rely a lot on the opinions of long standing members here.

Anyway, thanks @guitarjack66 it sounds like I dodged a bullet.