Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Adding a Reverend-style “bass contour” - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Adding a Reverend-style “bass contour”

What's Hot
Evening all,

I’ve a 2010ish SG Classic which needs a new loom (“need” is perhaps too strong, but I refuse to live with the PCB controls - one of the stupider Gibson ideas). I think the pickups are going to stay as I actually like them quite a bit (unusual for me as I usually ditch Gibson pickups).

I’ve been thinking about mods. I’m not really that taken with out of phase tones, but I’ve always been quite interested in the bass roll-off which Reverend offer as standard on their guitars - has anyone done anything similar as a mod? How have the results turned out? Is it feasible in a small-ish SG control cavity?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited July 2023
    MSedg said:

I’ve a 2010ish SG Classic which needs a new loom (“need” is perhaps too strong, but I refuse to live with the PCB controls - one of the stupider Gibson ideas).
    Don't condemn the PCB out of hand - it's not a problem, both it and the pots are actually very nice quality. The problems it causes are all to do with the crappy jumper connectors.

I did this to one which was cutting out and randomly changing tone and volume - just cut off the connectors and soldered the wiring directly to the pots and jack... it not only fixed the problems, I sure the guitar actually sounded better afterwards.

I know that doesn't answer your question .

A bass roll-off is very simple to implement *provided* you don't mind the full bass to be at the zero end of the travel and minimum bass at 10. (Which I find logical in use anyway, since 10 is still 'bright'.) To do it the other way round, you need a reverse log taper pot, which aren't that easy to get in all sizes. Apart from that, fitting it is easy, it takes up no more space than a standard tone pot and cap.

It can't be done with the PCB though, that is one of its restrictions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

GibsonPCB.jpg 176.8K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 88
    Answering questions is overrated  :) James’ Home of Tone have audio taper reverse CTS pots - is there a reason it should be log taper?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Log (10%) will work best, but Audio (usually 30%) will be usable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    G&L do it too. I think they use a 1M C-taper (which I think is reverse log). Might be findable as a spare part, or I have one in a guitar somewhere and can see if it has useful markings.

G&L do have wiring diagrams on line somewhere. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    A quick Google revealed this - suggests it's an Alpha part. I thought the one in mine was full sized but I'm not sure that matters enormously. 

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/1m-ohm-c1m-1mc-anti-log-taper-potentiometer.html
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."