Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Which frets for a 1990's Japanese squire? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Which frets for a 1990's Japanese squire?

What's Hot
Hi,

I'm buying a 1990's Japanese silver squire that almost  certainly needs some or all the frets replaced.

I've got an old fender music master bass I've had since I was 15 that's needed a refret for a loooog time and this is a trial run for that.

What frets would it have come from? How  can I find out?

What would you refret the Stratocaster with and why?

Thanks
Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    Best thing is to measure them using digital calipers then find something that matches.

If the fretboards are rosewood you can replace with any width you like for a full refret. If maple then you need to use a similar width that will fit in the gaps where the old frets came out. Unless you want to sand and refinish the board of course in which case you can fit anything that takes your fancy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 158
    Thanks!

How would I measure the height of 30 year old worn down frets? 

Just measure the least worn/ least dressed fret?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Thanks!

How would I measure the height of 30 year old worn down frets? 

Just measure the least worn/ least dressed fret?
    Yes. :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Measure half way between the E and A strings at a couple of the highest frets? An inexpensive (though not one of the really cheapest ones) digital calipers is very useful for this (and a load of other jobs). Use the thin bar that protrudes from the end of the calipers as they open to measure the height, and the jaws to measure the width.
    Thanks!

I've got a digital caliper, I've never used the bar bit, new skills for me  :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited July 2023
    Go big or go home.

This is the same guitar from the Discussion started in Guitars by Mr_Claw. 

If you intend to stick with the existing 7¼" fingerboard radius, medium-jumbo wire and a new, taller nut should see you right.

I shall open the bidding with 6270 so that @FelineGuitars and @SteveRobinson can make wiser suggestions.
    Be seeing you.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Another vote for medium jumbos here! Makes a 7.25" radius feel like 9.5"
    edited July 2023
    Excellent detective work @Funkfingers ;; 

Ohh, I hadn't considered a nut. I think I have one kicking about.

@lovestrat74 is a larger radius better?
    The stock Squier nut is tone-sucking plastic. You can choose a new bone or synthetic ivory nut in whatever size suits your choice of fret wire.

Given the Fugigen Gakki origins of the guitar, you might as well go all Ibanez on it.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Vintage Fender : Dunlop 6230
    Vintage Gibson ( a bit wider) : Dunlop 6150
    Medium Jumbo : Dunlop 6155
    Jumbo : Dunlop 6110 or 6100

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited July 2023
    The guitar turned up in great shape.

I decided I might as well try a quick and rough fret dress before a full refret.

It has left the frets very low, but it played fine when bolted back together.

I've properly dressed the frets now. They were only just above a wee steel guide I use when dressing the frets.

I've sanded the neck and streamed a couple of divots out. A couple of coats of danish oil and it's starting to feel awesome :)

I'll see how it plays when it's all back together. It might still get a refret in the near future.

http://photos.app.goo.gl/FJRSvjzdmgbGmvqdA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJRSvjzdmgbGmvqdA
    Any suggestions for how to get someone else's tooling marks out of a rosewood fretboard?

They are a bit deep to sand out 
    How are you getting along with the 7¼" fingerboard radius?

If you fancy both bigger fret wire and a shallower 'board radius, a repairer such as Feline could plane out the nasty marks.
    Be seeing you.
    The guitar is still in bits, I've had a 20 min play and the radius seemed fine so far.

I'm aiming to do all the work myself, planning the fret board would definitely take my woodwork skills to a new level! 

Is that done with a normal plane? Or some kind of specific radius blade?