Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Burns Guitars on Andertons Vid - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Burns Guitars on Andertons Vid

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
edited July 2023 in Guitar
Mr Anderton is the owner or co owner of Burns now right? Some cracking models here. I like the short scale model.
 Also there are 24.75 and 25.5 12 strings. Interesting.....
Bass VI also sounds pretty nice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1043
    Burns have always been a bit of an odd leftfield choice in my opinion.  I quite like the eccentricity of them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    Yeah, they are their own thing for sure.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Ever since seeing Gaz Coombes with one I've hankered after a green burst Burns something or other. Guitar guitar having the shortscale bass 6 at £299 doesn't help alleviate the gas.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    'We're doing some cool stuff with Burns but in the meantime buy these' is a strange sales pitch!

Wonder if the promise of a more accurate reissue means we'll get the 23 3/8in scale? I'd find that hard to resist.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I’ve always found them not to my taste 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Give me an original Scorpion and I'd be a happy chappy.  As for the new ones... meh.
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 270
    Way back when I was a lad in the 50’s, Burns guitars were well respected, good to play, good action, pickups and fine vibrato arms…..nicer guitars than Hofners…. Colorama, V series etc …..and Fender/Gibson weren’t available due to post WW2 restrictions…..I had a White 1876 Artist….excellent bit of kit….
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I had a White 1876 Artist….excellent bit of kit….
    I had no idea they'd been around that long.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Offset said:
    I had a White 1876 Artist….excellent bit of kit….
    I had no idea they'd been around that long.
    Yes……!!!!…..the most desirable  model was the 4 pickup Black Bison…..only 57 made I think 

1961 Burns Black Bison 4 pickup RARE!
    https://reverb.com/item/3138650-1961-burns-black-bison-4-pickup-rare?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=3138650

Check this out from 1964 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    It's trashy alt, indie, noisy rock I'd be using one for. Dave Simpson also demoed the short scale guitar.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    It would be great if they brought back the Rez O Tone bridge. I've never had a chance to play one but they're a bizarre idea that I presume must have worked. The recent versions with standard bridges have none of the quirky charm of the originals.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Check this out from 1964 

Great song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Never played any Burns, from any era, that feels like I want to own it - Hate the trem and just don't like the way the guitars feel/play - They will of course suit some players, but for me they are a total no no
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    Flyte reissue incoming?  :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    Check this out from 1964 

You just beat me to it.

The lead guitarist in the band I played in the mid 60s played a Burns Marvin.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:
    Check this out from 1964 

You just beat me to it.
    Agree a great song - Crikey all 3 have their guitars high - Mark King style
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 453
    I don’t know anything about the current range of Burns guitars but I do have three from the era when Barry Gibson was brand the owner. My three guitars are a Marvin, Bison and a Cobra, the Marvin was quite an expensive instrument but the Bison and Cobra were really quite affordable. I like all three guitars and enjoy playing them, they’re a bit different from most of the other bolt on neck guitars around and are built  to a very high standard.
  • UHASUHAS Frets: 120
    edited July 2023
    Hmmmmm, Is it just me, or do the lead singer of the Honeycombs and Mr Anderton, look quite similar? Some weird time travel going on :)
    Check this out from 1964 

Great song.
    ...covered by The Dead End Kids in the late '70s :-)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    About six years ago, I was approached by Bow Finishing could I make a couple of Burns bodies for them. It turns out that who ever owned Burns at the time was bringing the guitars over from the Far East. They needed a left-handed one and a green  body, that were not in the current batch that had come over from the Far East. It was a pain in the arse to make them, lots of different jigs, to be honest with you, I wish I never agreed to do it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 203
    edited July 2023
    GSPBASSES said:
    About six years ago, I was approached by Bow Finishing could I make a couple of Burns bodies for them. It turns out that who ever owned Burns at the time ............

That would be Barry Gibson. He revived the company in the 90's , bringing Jim Burns on board as a consultant, and remained in charge 'till he sold the company in 2020.  They produced some beautiful instruments - I currently have 5 and am desparately trying to resist he purchase of another I've seen, but can't really justify.

Cliff
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    There was a Burns Scorpion at the Brizzle Guitar Show in April - it was a bit of a beast.
    I have the Burns I wanted; I've only ever seen two of them: one in Carlsbro Sound in the 70s/80s and the one I bought last year.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    25% off the Burns range at the moment

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/burns-guitars

Gassing over the SSJ short scale. I think one of the 12 strings would be more useful though. Also it is easier to remove 6 strings from a 12 string than it is to add 6 more to a 6
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Ordered the short scale 12 string