Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How would you power this lot? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How would you power this lot?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
edited July 2023 in FX
Under 100 mA each

Boss BC-1X
Boss OC-5
Boss LS-2
TC Polytune
Darkglass VMT
EBS Sheehan Ultimate Drive
Morley Power Fuzz Wah
SFX Micro Thumpinator
A Fuzz I haven't decided on yet

100-200mA

Source Audio Spectrum
Source Audio C4
Source Audio Ultrawave
Source Audio Phaser
Boss EQ-200

Others

Line 6 G70 Wireless - 385mA

A posh Delay - 500mA
A posh Verb - 500mA

My existing supplies won't do all of this and I have no desire to keep buying extras for my Gigrig modular system.

I am very out of date about new power supplies - is there anything that can easily power all of this? Ideally without costing the same as a new guitar?

ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That's quite a bit. Perhaps a Cioks DC7 and Cioks 8 expander with one or two of the low current pedals using a splitflex cable? I'm assuming you like expensive guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Well, I'm about to quit my band so I'm thinking of putting my favourite stuff onto 1 board that won't get moved anywhere, just for fun home playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    My usual go to for big boards is a Strymon Zuma. That would probably work with a daisy chain across some of the low-current ones to give you enough sockets. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Fender Engine Room lvl 12 has 12 outputs at 500ma each so you just daily chain a few analogue pedals.

But it is quite a thick boy.  Cioks DC7 + DC8 expansion will also do this but will cost more and take up more space by less thick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    2 approaches:

Cooks DC7 + 8 expander (look in detail - might need to share an output for a couple of the simpler pedals) 

or as it's for home/static:

just use what you have plus a cheap dedicated 9v supplies for the current hungry ones all plugged in to a socket strip
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    If you're not going to have to move it, a couple of these?
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_10ac_pro.htm
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Kebabkid said:
    The price of that is quite silly!
    TimmyO said:
    2 approaches:

Cooks DC7 + 8 expander (look in detail - might need to share an output for a couple of the simpler pedals) 

or as it's for home/static:

just use what you have plus a cheap dedicated 9v supplies for the current hungry ones all plugged in to a socket strip

That's very true - I hadn't even thought of going old school with it! Wood for the trees etc.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Kebabkid said:
    The price of that is quite silly!
    Indeed :)
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    Fender Engine Room lvl 12 has 12 outputs at 500ma each so you just daily chain a few analogue pedals.

But it is quite a thick boy.  Cioks DC7 + DC8 expansion will also do this but will cost more and take up more space by less thick.
    do the Engine room, and use some of your gigrig isolators off a few of the outlets to essentially separate one 500ma outlet into 4 individual isolated outlets. Use 8 outlets for your 8 pedals above 100ma, then you have 4 left to play with. You'll only need 2 isolators. 

Job done. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

do the Engine room, and use some of your gigrig isolators off a few of the outlets to essentially separate one 500ma outlet into 4 individual isolated outlets. Use 8 outlets for your 8 pedals above 100ma, then you have 4 left to play with. You'll only need 2 isolators. 

Job done. 
    Lovely!

Thank you.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Small Nuclear facility?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    Gassage said:
    Small Nuclear facility?
    no, it's just the way my trousers fit
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    I wouldn't.

The point where I have to spend time thinking about power supplies comes at the point where a board has got bigger than I can be arsed with. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    I'm slowly building a bigger board with an ES8 - I think I'll go for the Fender Engine Room Lvl 12.
  • I have zuma and 2 ojais, whenever I ran out I buy another ojai which you can "daisy chain" to the other ojais so you just plugin to the wall socket only the zuma 
    I wouldn't.

The point where I have to spend time thinking about power supplies comes at the point where a board has got bigger than I can be arsed with. 
    For live use I stick with a Nano+ and nothing more, exactly for that reason.

But this is just for home and I want as much on as possible so I don't have to keep swapping stuff about. I have no intention of ever picking it up.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    What do you have in your GigRig modular system (particularly Isolators, Distributors and Timelords)? I could probably build something that ran off a couple of USB wall warts that'd do all that for £verylittle, depending on what you've already got.
    <space for hire>
    1 distributor, 2 isolators. and the main power bit.

That's it.

That's it.
    Hmmm, OK. Might struggle with just one distributor - unless you're cool incorporating a daisy chain in there.
    <space for hire>

That's it.
    Hmmm, OK. Might struggle with just one distributor - unless you're cool incorporating a daisy chain in there.
    It was all I needed for my old board, when pedals didn't habitually need more than 100mA. I used to run a Whammy straight off the distributor, but the rest were all under 100mA.

It's a kind offer but I'm going to see if I can offload some stuff and buy something that will last me the next 30 years! Or maybe 20 depending on how the arthritis goes!
    edited July 2023
    Well, for what it's worth, in your position I'd be looking at which pedals need to be isolated first (and whether any are going in an amp's effects loop).

Off the top of my head, I'd say that the Source Audio pedals and the EQ-200 need to be isolated - they'll probably work OK together, just not with some of your other pedals. The fuzz and Fuzz Wah will also need to be.

If the delay and reverb are digital - which I'm sure they will be - they'll also need an isolated supply (but will probably be OK together).

So...at a minimum, you need four isolated branches - one for the "other" pedals at around 500mA, one for the Source Audio and EQ-200 at around 700mA (guess), one for the fuzzes at <100mA and one for the delay/verb at around 800mA (most delays use around 300mA when rated at 500mA). Oh, and probably another for the wireless.

You could, for example, do all of that with any old 9V power supply capable of delivering 3A and four Joyo ZGP isolators, which also act as digital filters (in my experience). They're capable of 800mA, as opposed to the GigRig ones which can only do 100mA on any given output (or even the Timelord, which can do 500mA). Bonus, they're only about £12 each.

I'm not aware of any pedalboard supplies which can do that, mind, so you're probably looking at multiple power supplies, or a custom cobbled-together job.
    <space for hire>
    I think it would have to be a DC7 and the 8 socket expander, or a Zuma + Expander unit.

Pricey, but I was reminded that my very elderly mother has yet to give me my 50th birthday prezzie and in her own words is trying to minimise the Inheritance Tax!

I decided not to educate her about needing to last another 7 years after a gift to avoid it. That might get taken the wrong way!
    I think it would have to be a DC7 and the 8 socket expander, or a Zuma + Expander unit.

Pricey, but I was reminded that my very elderly mother has yet to give me my 50th birthday prezzie and in her own words is trying to minimise the Inheritance Tax!

I decided not to educate her about needing to last another 7 years after a gift to avoid it. That might get taken the wrong way!
    Well, if your board's power supply could noticeably influence the amount of inheritance tax you pay, you have waaaaay more problems than can be solved in this thread :D
    <space for hire>

Well, if your board's power supply could noticeably influence the amount of inheritance tax you pay, you have waaaaay more problems than can be solved in this thread :D
    Imagine the board that could influence that!!