Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Microphone suggestions - basic recording of a single amp for recreational purposes - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Microphone suggestions - basic recording of a single amp for recreational purposes

What's Hot
Not looking to do much more than document my playing and endeavours trying new gear. I have a simple interface (UA Volt 276) that I got second hand. 

Not sure if it matters, but this would be used 95% of the time for recording tube amps. But would be handy if the microphone could be used on occasion to record acoustic.

What microphone would people recommend for a general purpose recording in my flat? My budget is between £100-£250. 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Shure SM57

Ideal for amps, well within budget, bombproof and works okay for acoustics too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Audix i5
    Great on guitar amps, drums even acoustics too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Shure SM57

Ideal for amps, well within budget, bombproof and works okay for acoustics too
    ^ This choice will never be a wrong one.

Other standard options are: Sennheiser MD421 or Sennheiser e906 (the dangly one).

Dynamic mic...close to the speaker...minimise room complications.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    But would be handy if the microphone could be used on occasion to record acoustic.
    I'm not over-experienced with recording acoustic guitars but it gets a bit more complicated and, ideally, you'd have a pair of condenser mics.
    What microphone would people recommend for a general purpose recording in my flat? My budget is between £100-£250.
    Mic-ing tube amps in your flat? Actually, I'd switch to using plugins o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    SM57… 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited July 2023
    If I were you and spending all your budget a secondhand SM57 should set you back about £60 then spend the rest on a condenser or pair of condensers eg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325713079249
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    A Beyer M201 would be able to do both electric and acoustic guitars no problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 295
    Okay locking in an sm57 then, thanks for the advice all.

Appreciate @digitalkettle s recommendation regarding the pair of condenser mics for the acoustic, but given how infrequently this would be used it might be overkill for my needs.

Cheers, wisdom to everyone 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    SM57, but beware of counterfeits... buy it from a reputable shop.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Okay locking in an sm57 then, thanks for the advice all.

Appreciate @digitalkettle s recommendation regarding the pair of condenser mics for the acoustic, but given how infrequently this would be used it might be overkill for my needs.

Cheers, wisdom to everyone 
    Good call...you can always point the 57 at your acoustic for free and see what happens ;)
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Bear in mind that you can improve the sound of a recorded acoustic by using an acoustic impulse response in your DAW. That's a much bigger rabbit hole than microphone choice but worth giving it a try