Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cost-effective way of replicating guitar neck profile - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cost-effective way of replicating guitar neck profile

What's Hot
Given a general lack of woodworking skills and a strong likelihood that I'm going to end up with at least some solid fuel through trial and error, can anyone please suggest a relatively cheap way of copying the neck profile of a guitar? I'm thinking in terms of obtaining reliable raw material rather than technique - I can do sanding and shaping but don't want to have to make the fretboard.

I'm looking at a tele style guitar if that makes any difference.

Sorry if I'm being a bit vague but I'm trying to think through the best way to do this and I'm looking for a sanity check.

"I've got the moobs like Jabba".
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    Ben Crowe did a video on this recently (experimenting with a few different techniques)...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    I suppose that suggesting a profile gauge would be too bleedin' obvious?
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah, I had thought of that but it wasn’t so much how to do it but how not to waste a load of money on wood that I stuff up. I have fists of ham and fingers of butter.  :/

I think I’m about to answer my own question - and that is to minimise the amount of damage that can be done by keeping the back of the neck separate from everything else until it’s right and then glue it up and screw it to the body. Sorry that was obvious but the cogs of my brain do grind slowly. 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter