Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Dual elec/acoustic rig - IRs, signal paths, interesting delays? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Dual elec/acoustic rig - IRs, signal paths, interesting delays?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
Ok, I'm in the early stages of a duo thing with the singer in my big band. One successful practice so far and we have an idea of where it's headed sonically, so I'm keen to be able to cover both acoustic and electric sounds (from separate guitars...), but I want to make a single rig as simple as possible while achieving what I want. 

Nothing is set in stone but I'm assuming I'll go direct to a small PA, and would like to tick the following boxes: 

1) Modelled amp sounds for electric. Think just-beyond-clean Deluxe Reverb/AC30
2) Decent acoustic sounds
3) Reverb - not necessarily anything fancy
4) Interesting delay of some sort with tap tempo. Considering something like a Microcosm but haven't thought much about it yet
5) Some sort of Deco-based doubling/swirly (it's inevitable, so why fight it)
6) Capability for looping including option for different verse & chorus loops

I don't think I'll need gain effects, and certainly not anything I don't already own in that dept. 1, 2 & 3 I can potentially do with the HX Stomp I already have, though no idea how I'd route 2 different guitars through that in conjunction with the other stuff. 6 is the one place I definitely don't have anything that can cover it; I've used an MXR Clone Looper so far but that's pretty limited. 

For acoustic sounds, is the HX capable of doing something clever with IRs (I still don't really understand what those are...)? I'll either use my existing Martin+LR.Baggs Anthem that I was going to sell, or swap that for something a different/cheaper rather than put a pickup in my favourite Bourgeois :) 

I'll probably use this as a bit of a bloggy thing just to track thought process over the next few weeks, but keen to hear anyone else's thoughts. 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ooh, just remembered I also have a Plus pedal that is wonderful but tricksy. Could be a useful addition once I properly get the hang of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And just because I'm bored and everyone likes pictures, this is the current practice/jam board so far. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    Ooh, just remembered I also have a Plus pedal that is wonderful but tricksy. Could be a useful addition once I properly get the hang of it. 
    Definitely this! Given the other thread too, this would be a great texture to include 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    stickyfiddle said:

For acoustic sounds, is the HX capable of doing something clever with IRs (I still don't really understand what those are...)? I'll either use my existing Martin+LR.Baggs Anthem that I was going to sell, or swap that for something a different/cheaper rather than put a pickup in my favourite Bourgeois :) 

I use a full-fat Helix (but the HX seems to have a lot of the amp / IR models).  For electric I use the Helix amp and cab models. for acoustic I have a piezo bridge on my PRS SE Hollowbody II and I apply an acoustic IR / Helix effects.  With the Helix I can have two signal paths, 'electric' and 'acoustic', running in parallel.  This isn't possible with the HX but if you don't want both sounds at the same time / in the same song you'll be fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Musicwolf said:
    stickyfiddle said:

I use a full-fat Helix (but the HX seems to have a lot of the amp / IR models).  For electric I use the Helix amp and cab models. for acoustic I have a piezo bridge on my PRS SE Hollowbody II and I apply an acoustic IR / Helix effects.  With the Helix I can have two signal paths, 'electric' and 'acoustic', running in parallel.  This isn't possible with the HX but if you don't want both sounds at the same time / in the same song you'll be fine.

Ta - that's the sort of thing I'm thinking. HX probably last in the chain, and switching between and amp+reverb or preamp+IR depending on which guitar I'm using. Not sure how that might interact with other effects I'm looking at but that's maybe not the primary question at this stage. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Musicwolf said:
    stickyfiddle said:

Ta - that's the sort of thing I'm thinking. HX probably last in the chain, and switching between and amp+reverb or preamp+IR depending on which guitar I'm using. Not sure how that might interact with other effects I'm looking at but that's maybe not the primary question at this stage. 
    I use the Martin 45 IR's from 3 Sigma.  I think that I also use Studio compressor and EQ (I can't remember which and I'm away this week so can't check I'm afraid).  The important thing is that you're going into an FRFR cab (direct to PA).

Ta - those do sound great. I need to get some and have a fiddly I guess. 

Of course the other issue is I have too many gear questions and not enough material yet, but I can't work on the latter while at work... :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    You could just buy my zoom ac3 and then use the hx for electric..