Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I made a guitar in homage to the Halo game franchise - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I made a guitar in homage to the Halo game franchise

What's Hot
Yeah, so any game fans here? Specifically Halo.
A good while ago a mate tagged me on a facebook post where someone had made a guitar in the style of a sword on said game, naturally we thought it was cool af so we cam up with the idea of doing one in the style of another weapon on there called a Gravity Hammer lol
So here it is; 
Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Poplar body
    Walnut and Mahogany neck
    LEDs (obviously)
    Sustainiac rip off (never again, unreliable)
    Silver leaf on the 'blade'
    Halo logo on 12th fret glows in the dark

Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    That is stunning!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HilditchGuitarsHilditchGuitars Frets: 318
    edited July 2023
    Here's a bit of the process story if you fancy a read to help you sleep tonight haha.
    I made a mood board type thing with images of the weapon from the game and from that worked out the best scale to suit a guitar. Then transferred the outline to some MDF for my template

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    This was when I was still terrible at pictures so I didn't get a huge amount and they are a bit choppy
    But here's the LEDs for the fretboard, ready to go in. 
    I used 5mm flat top LEDs in blue and started by marking all the centres where I wanted them to go. Then the process is fairly straight forward, drill a 5mm hole to take the LED and a tiny 6mm step on the back to take the shoulder. I used a forstner bit for the 6mm so I piloted with a 2mm first to give the forstner tip a guide, and did my small shoulder rebates on the back before drilling right though with the 5mm. I set the rebates deep enough so the tops of the LEDs were flush with the fretboard, which also left enough room to keep the legs away from the truss rod.

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    I'm a bit too old to know about Halo but that is bonkers! In a good way. What do the two little switches do, I imagine they're grenade launchers? 
    edited July 2023
    Then came the fun part of carving the body.
    I had to make a lot of the depths of details up based on the source images I found online

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That must have taken hours... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    When it came to paint, I wanted to catch the colours but also give it a used and abused feel, so didn't want it to look super shiny. I used silver leaf for the 'blade' and metallic paint for the gray areas. I even dry brushed a little silver paint on some black areas to add a metal feel to it. Then clear over everything. I used some matte clear acrylic for the blue lights 

• KDSKDS Frets: 211
    yh that's cool :)
  • Then it appears I stop taking pics until it was finished so I can't detail the sustainer and lights wiring. It's been shared on the Halo facebook page recently so I'm getting a lot of enquiries about orders so if any come to fruition I'll do a detailed write up and maybe a YouTube series.
  • I'm a bit too old to know about Halo but that is bonkers! In a good way. What do the two little switches do, I imagine they're grenade launchers? 
    It's gone nuts on Reddit and Facebook. You're close with the little switches, but they actually control the sustainer - one for on/off, one for mode
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That must have taken hours... 
    I couldn't actually tell you, but was a long time haha
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    That's brilliant :) 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    @HilditchGuitars - we can't see the photos. If you can, then they're probably not set to "public".
    <space for hire>
    @HilditchGuitars - we can't see the photos. If you can, then they're probably not set to "public".
    Weird, the photos were definitely there yesterday. 
  • MARVlNMARVlN Frets: 77
    Looks pretty amazing, cool to see something different aside from the usual.

The main finished photos are working for me, but not the ones in subsequent posts. Would be good to see some of the details
  • MARVlN said: Looks pretty amazing, cool to see something different aside from the usual.

The main finished photos are working for me, but not the ones in subsequent posts. Would be good to see some of the details
    @digitalscream and @Supportact they've gone for me too. I wonder if it's because I thought I was clever using my google photos to upload them and they change url when it updates? The finished photos are off my website gallery
  • Fixed. Managed to get back into my Imgur account and uploaded them there