Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Knaggs guitars - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Knaggs guitars

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
I keep getting FB videos for Eric Steckels playing Knaggs guitar and by jove can he play and it sounds splendid.  A huge thick tone but so slippery.

They are super expensive guitars though.   Wondered if anyone had played one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Yes. They are terrific, exceptional guitars. It’s essentially the entirety of the original Private Stock team at PRS making them now, so the pedigree is unbeatable. The looks of some of them seem to be a bit marmite but I love that they can do understated or OTT if you desire. Highly recommend them - you can save a fair chunk going secondhand but I have yet to see a used Steckel model on eBay or Reverb…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Had 3 or 4 knaggs. Build quality is absolutely immaculate. Used prices are utter bargains- they drop like a stone from new. I had a Steckel I sold for well under 3k this year. 
    Having said that, Peach have some great offers currently on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I guess playing through a wall of 4x12s helps with the big tone too :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2142
    edited July 2023
    I had a tier 2 Keya.
    Hated it. Just no real character to it, and uninspiring.

Although it was built well & played nicely but the thing was just so insipid and weak sounding.
    It might, partly, have been the Seth Lover pickups.

I seem to remember a couple of dead spots too.

Regardless, I still have a desire to own a Steve Stevens model in black with the pink binding!

• AflfAflf Frets: 22
    I have a 2017 SSC T1 model in red. It just played and sounded right out of the case and became my #1 Les Paul (Blues & Southern Rock).
    Had also a Chesapeake Choptank. This sounded too polite (Fralin Blues Special pups) but had a great feel. Workmanship on all is excellent.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    They've never quite won me over with their body shapes, although they look very well made and I like some of the details.

The only model which really appeals is the regular Kenai, which is a bit different from the Steckel version - thinner body I think, and more contouring.  But they're so expensive.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Luckily, these don't do anything for me.  I say 'luckily' because they're frickin' expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Of course they're no more expensive than comparable brands like Patrick James Eggle, Nik Huber or PRS themselves.  But maybe they're all a bit too pricey for comfort now.  I've got core PRS models but I probably wouldn't buy another one at today's prices.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    I've never played one, I guess they feel and play great but I really don't like the body shapes.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I’m not keen on the shape either but the Steve Stevens black one with pink binding was acceptable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 213
    I’ve owned 3 or 4. Well made things (although not as nice as an Eggle), but a little naff in the looks department. 
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    edited July 2023
    Tried an used Keya in Olive Drab double P90, beautiful guitars sounds awesome, simple but very well made.

I almost bought it for a bargain price, but didn't love the neck shape which is like a medium C shape but with some shoulder which I didn't like.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 392
    edited July 2023
    I bought a Kenai Tier 2 from @chris78 earlier this year and I really like it. Gives me the Gibson sounds I was looking for. It's a single piece mahogany body with a maple cap and their Sunflower finish. Has the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups as it's an earlier example, whereas the newer ones have BKP Mules. I'm happy with these low output PAFs though. 

Nitro finish means it smells good too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 839
    If I hadn’t got enough of them already, I’d be bagging one of them up from the Peach sale that is currently on. 
    Rob1742 said:
    If I hadn’t got enough of them already, I’d be bagging one of them up from the Peach sale that is currently on. 
    The two mahogany-top Kenais are quite appealing, although they've been there a very long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That looks quite tasty
    Just checked out the Peach "sale".  Way too expensive for my budget.  Besides, I need to sell 2 guitars I reckon, got too many. 
  • BowksBowks Frets: 392
    Just checked out the Peach "sale".  Way too expensive for my budget.  Besides, I need to sell 2 guitars I reckon, got too many. 
     Used market is the way to go. I spent PRS S2 Singlecut money and got a used Knaggs.
  • I quite fancy trying a Steckel or SSC, if something comes up on the used market. 
  • Sounds like a company my wife would set up!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter