Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guns Hyde Park... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guns Hyde Park...

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
F#ckin amazing!!

Forget your armchair critics - I was one based on Glastonbury. 

They were absolutely brilliant.

If you get the chance, go. That's all ;)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I've just sat here for a minute thinking "who the fuck are Guns, never heard of them..."

These work weeks are not getting any fucking shorter.

Glad you enjoyed...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm being dragged along to Bruce Springsteen next week. Feeling very much like I've drawn the short BST straw
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 836
    Yep was there. Fulfilled a 30+ year old ambition of seeing what was my first band obsession and the records to which I taught myself to play. 
    Actually feel a bit emotional. 
    They were fucking immense. Axl suits being nice to the crowd - it was a really fun gig. I guess we’ve all grown up - much less adolescent anger and angst, but they were still ferocious at times. Coma was brilliant - never expected them to do that. 
    Loved it! Do not expect to sleep!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Addendum - slash still plays a few too many notes sometimes, but I thought he was more restrained than usual on the big melodic solos which was awesome. November rain wasn’t crap!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Agreed! For me November Rain was awful at Glastonbury but bloody brilliant tonight. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    edited July 2023
    I wore out the appetite cd at school listening to them over and over again. Seeing them was a dream I never thought would happen when they had already split up by time I started school. Since the reunion there had been so many mixed reports but I took a punt and bought tickets for this. Then reading some Glastonbury reports I was a little apprehensive...

Childhood dream made real!! They were so good. Axl was still impressive with those iconic high notes like "you're gonna diiiieeeeeee," they were on time and yeah axl was nice! There were a couple of occasions the whole experience made me well up a bit. Plus Coma is my favourite song of all time ever. So that was fucking wonderful to hear that! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    roberty said:
    I'm being dragged along to Bruce Springsteen next week. Feeling very much like I've drawn the short BST straw
    That should be a great! I’ve always enjoyed BST, even when the Mrs picked the band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Agreed! For me November Rain was awful at Glastonbury but bloody brilliant tonight. 

Maybe they still have the professionalism to watch their sets back and go "ooof - we fucked some of that up - better pull our pants up next gig"...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    That was the best I've ever seen them - they were all on fire, but Slash was especially ace.

Really like the more mellowed Axl as well - loved how he laughed about falling over during Bad Obsession.

And big shout out to Justin Hawkins... that bloke being made to sing on his own with the mic was brilliant! "It's not 'The Christmas Song'....! I do hope you're going to do the same to The Pretenders...".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Dang it! Now I'm gutted I don't go! 
    edited July 2023
    My respect for slash’s playing is even greater than it already was. Have seen him with his solo band and VR but he was on a different level playing these (better) songs. It was a much lower gain tone than I had thought it would be - very exposed and minimal room for error so when he doesn’t quite hit the note it’s noticeable - but that means 99% time it’s even more skilled than I realised! Still absolutely buzzing and annoying my kids (blasting Appetite whilst dropping daughter to a rehearsal :-). 
    Also - Richard Fortus is amazing. Hugely skilled but also a real musicality, and ability to sit back at the right moments. 
    Yes I think Richard Fortus deserves a mention. He adds a different flavour to the mix and the tone from that black Gretsch was something else.

I went to see them in 92 at Wembley but I honestly cannot remember any of the set... Just being there, but I have no specific memories of that day.

So it makes last night even more special. A performance and an evening etched into the memory bank (hopefully)!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Agreed, he was superb, anybody know what model and spec that black gretsch was?
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 122
    edited July 2023
    This was my first GnR gig, I didn't know they were playing Glastonbury beforehand and the live feed didn't fill me with confidence but they rocked last night!

Axl sounded way better than the Glasto live feed and the band were great. Awesome seeing Slash nailing those memorable riffs and solos, Richard Fortus was great too, not sure if it was legato or fingerpicking but his leads sounded really smooth.

Only pisser was having to walk to Green Park station after the gig as Hyde Park Corner was closed. It wasn't that far (10 mins) but I hate last minute surprises when you're done for the night. The rickshaw riders blasting GnR made it more enjoyable though!
    Rkphilpot said:
    Agreed, he was superb, anybody know what model and spec that black gretsch was?
    https://guitar.com/review/electric-guitar/the-big-review-gretsch-richard-fortus-g6636-rf-g6636t-rf-white-and-black-falcon/
    Thanks!