Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Spraying a body with Halfords rattle cans? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Spraying a body with Halfords rattle cans?

What's Hot
Anyone done it?

I have made a bass, and I want the body colour in a pearlescent sort of white. One of those finishes that looks a bit 'sparkly' although not glitter. I think I've only seen that colour with car spray paints? will it work OK or is it a bad idea? It's only actually going to show on the back as I'm putting a vinyl image on the front.

Also, what kind of rattle can lacquer would work over it? Any idea?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 74
    edited June 2023
    I have used Halfords spray paint on a number of bodies and never had an issue. I finished them with Halfords clear lacquer. They do 2 types though, First time I used the normal clear gloss lacquer which was good, but they also do a Body Shop clear lacquer with a wide spray nozzle that goes on much nicer and provides a better finish.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    I sprayed my Mirrortop with Halfords cans. 15 years on and it's still dandy.
    Use a primer, use a colour, and use a clear top coat (is my advice, but depends what finish you're looking for). The key is to build up multiple light 'mist' coats rather than try and spray on a single thicker coat. I think I did 20-30 in total with occasional light sanding in between to remove any foreign bodies. Building up a decent thickness of clear is important so that you have enough to sand back smooth before polishing without going through to the colour coats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    No. Bit interesting to hear others. 

Ps I have used their clear lacquer finish. Worked well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I’ve spayed a Strat in their paint and used their lacquer over the top and came out fine. I think I did 6 very thin paint coats and however many clear lacquer coats it took to empty the can. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited June 2023
    munckee said:
    I’ve spayed a Strat in their paint and used their lacquer over the top and came out fine. I think I did 6 very thin paint coats and however many clear lacquer coats it took to empty the can. 
    I have come across strat's that were absolute dogs, but didn't realise they needed stopping from reproducing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Said Mirrortop:

The top is, er, a mirror! The back and sides are Halfords Audi Silver.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    I hate stuff, with the exception of the Matte and Satin colours, too little paint, too much thinners, terrible spray nozzle heads, one I did never dried and stated tacky another the clear lacquer reacted and it had to be sanded off…

I get the local supplier of paint to car repairers to mix the colour I want in 1k Cellulose, they mix cans all day every day, you would be amazed at the amount of pro car repairs finished with a rattle can, it makes sense as if its only a small area, they can only buy non aerosol in a minimum 1 litre can and therefore most would go to waste…

No need for clear coat, much better quality paint and a better paint to thinners ratio, so you need less cans, I can do a guitar body with one can

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1004
    Have a look for Canbrush C69 pearl white, my local tool/diy shop does it for about £4 a can and i've used their range on many guitars and bike frames great stuff, you can use their 1k clears or other 2k clears over it if you don't fancy the cure/gas off wait that 1k needs.