Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wow - bit of an eye opener for me - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wow - bit of an eye opener for me

What's Hot
bertiebertie Frets: 12145
edited June 2023 in Music
all these years and I never knew/heard this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EBQ-ljFlt4

was there ever a legal case ?
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 426
    “It’s not plagiarism. It’s just the same chord sequence,”

Clearly not just the same chords, the vocal melody is VERY similar
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I think the point is that if Ian Anderson can't be arsed with calling it plagiarism, copying or whatever, who are we to be bothered?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 426
    If the internet can't fight a needless battle who can!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    MrSwanson said:
    If the internet can't fight a needless battle who can!
    Hmmm, I really hadn't thought my comment through, had I?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    He should go after them now even if he said it was a compliment at the time.

if only because the Eagles actively hunt down and block any covers of HC on YouTube … wonder if they’d block a cover of that …
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Not this again…

The Eagles toured with Jethro Tull in 1972.

Don Felder wrote the chord progression for Hotel California.

Don Felder didn’t join the Eagles until 1974.

It’s bollocks. Just a fairly common chord progression and a vocal melody which derives from it that is somewhat similar. Pure coincidence.

I’m a fan of both bands and the songs don’t even sound that alike to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    ICBM said:
    Not this again…

The Eagles toured with Jethro Tull in 1972.

Don Felder wrote the chord progression for Hotel California.

Don Felder didn’t join the Eagles until 1974.

It’s bollocks. Just a fairly common chord progression and a vocal melody which derives from it that is somewhat similar. Pure coincidence.

I’m a fan of both bands and the songs don’t even sound that alike to me.
    Yeah, but that wouldn't have stopped Felder buying the Stand Up album before he joined the Eagles... ;)

Doesn't matter, they're both great songs.  I doubt it's plagiarism, but even if it was I wouldn't care.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Apropos nothing much, but a random tangential thing, Stand Up was the first LP I bought & still have it.
    As you were...  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
    A bit like comparing Unpublished Critics with Sweet Child o' Mine.  I'm sure there's some Journalist from the Independent or Guardian who secretly wants to be the boss of Thames water that just raises these things out of spite.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Devil#20 said:
    Yep. And on that note, every melody possible in a 12-note scale so it's all moot, right?

(well worth watching both - they deserve more views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfXn_ecH5Rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJtm0MoOgiU
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Turns out I like Jethro Tull.  So that’s something to get me out of bed again.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    This needs a Bright Tunes style cover version with all the Hotel California accents and appointments to take the piss.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I believe Anderson has previously commented on the similarity and is pretty relaxed about it.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Offset said:
    I believe Anderson has previously commented on the similarity and is pretty relaxed about it.
    I saw Tull about 5 or 6 times between the early 90s and mid-2000s*. At some point in that time, I remember him making comments on stage about the similarity between HC and his song. I said on here a short while ago, he does like whinging about any of his peers who did better than him. Especially Zeppelin, who he liked to point out sold fewer records in the US in 1970 something than Tull. :D 

*I went to see them at some point with my brother who turned to me after the band came on and said 'Oh, it's the band with the singer who can't sing anymore.'  That was about the last time I saw them, and it was down to IA being unable to sing much of the good stuff. It's a shame because I absolutely love the 60s-70s albums and still play them.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Pjon said:
    I went to see them at some point with my brother who turned to me after the band came on and said 'Oh, it's the band with the singer who can't sing anymore.'  That was about the last time I saw them, and it was down to IA being unable to sing much of the good stuff. It's a shame because I absolutely love the 60s-70s albums and still play them.
    There are plenty of contenders for that dubious honour.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    even if there was a case, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I wrote all his plays and my wife and I wrote his sonnets.