Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Revox power cable help. - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Revox power cable help.

What's Hot
musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 52

Any idea where I can source a suitable power cable for a revox reel to reel?

https://ibb.co/RB2h69c

It looks like I need some sort of 3 pin plug it can't find anything suitable online. 

Any help would be appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Try the soundonsound.com forum, couple of chaps there run a lot of old Revox and other such kit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I would say someone has bodged that from the original socket. That I am 99% sure was a square plug. Why for instance is that Bulgin socket back of a rectangular hole?
    I 'may' have a plug somewhere so if you get really desperate, PM me but those 'bluggers' are no longer legal and if the deck were mine I would replace it with an IEC or if that won't fit, blank the hole and fit a fixed lead and grommet.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    ecc83 said:
    I would say someone has bodged that from the original socket. That I am 99% sure was a square plug. Why for instance is that Bulgin socket back of a rectangular hole?
    I 'may' have a plug somewhere so if you get really desperate, PM me but those 'bluggers' are no longer legal and if the deck were mine I would replace it with an IEC or if that won't fit, blank the hole and fit a fixed lead and grommet.

Dave.
    I'm inclined to agree, I worked on loads of Revox (A77 / B77 / PR99) back in the day and I don't recall the mains connections being like that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Mini Bulgin. Illegal for mains these days I think… the full size ones definitely are. The minis are still used for 24VAC soldering irons and the like.

I also think it’s a bodge - from memory the original is a rectangular 2-pin a bit like a reverse US mains plug (but different dimensions), but I might be wrong. I think I have one somewhere, but I wouldn’t advise refitting one as it’s also probably not compliant with regs now. Better to fit an IEC.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Also, IIRC there is a mains microswitch interlock that you must defeat if you take the recorder out of its case?

Dave.
  • Thanks for the comments and advice , this is one of two A77s I bought ( the other one has the two pin )  so will list this one as is and in need of work . I have not got the skills to swap the socket even if I could not too sure I should as I am unable to check if it is safe. Is there any reason they would have done the mod ? Thanks again 

Is there any reason they would have done the mod ? 
    Probably because they lost the original mains cable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    exocet said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    I'm inclined to agree, I worked on loads of Revox (A77 / B77 / PR99) back in the day and I don't recall the mains connections being like that.
    I bought 100’s of PR99’s for work, a well known broadcasting corporation, and all were with IEC connectors.  Might have broadcast spec version though. 
    edited June 2023
    exocet said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    I bought 100’s of PR99’s for work, a well known broadcasting corporation, and all were with IEC connectors.  Might have broadcast spec version though. 
    I was in that Broadcasting corporation.  PR99s were for editing use only - playout stuff was Studer A80, Telefunken M15....at least that was the case in late 80s :)
    exocet said:
    exocet said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    I was in that Broadcasting corporation.  PR99s were for editing use only - playout stuff was Studer A80, Telefunken M15....at least that was the case in late 80s :)
    Yep. PR99's for office use and Studer A80's, and later 810's and 807's for studios. Plus old Levers Rich's.... 
    If, as I am, you are averse to fixed mains cables and there is not room for an IEC. You could fit a short, 300mm cable and terminate it in an IEC male line socket.

Dave.
    exocet said:
    exocet said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Yep. PR99's for office use and Studer A80's, and later 810's and 807's for studios. Plus old Levers Rich's.... 
    You must have worked in Bush House?
    exocet said:
    exocet said:
    exocet said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    You must have worked in Bush House?
    I did! 86 to 95 roughly.  
    Musicalstash, if you still want one of those Bulgin cables I have found one I made up years ago. PM me with your address and I can jiffy it to you. No charge.
    Dave.
    Hey matey! I have the cable all jiffied up just need WHERE TO SEND IT!

Dave.
    edited October 2023
    If it still matters, I've found what I think is the original connector pair for this. It does look like it should be regulations-compliant, although I can't be sure. It's a nicely-made modern plastic connector similar to a smaller 2-pin IEC. (It might actually be a C9/C10, in which case it is compliant.) The cable on the plug part is only about 9" long but it would be sufficient to add a new inline IEC socket - or I could do that for you.

• ICBM said:
    If it still matters, I've found what I think is the original connector pair for this. It does look like it should be regulations-compliant, although I can't be sure. It's a nicely-made modern plastic connector similar to a smaller 2-pin IEC. The cable on the plug part is only about 9" long but it would be sufficient to add a new inline IEC socket - or I could do that for you.

thanks , I was able to source a power lead from Ebay ... 
  • I’ve seen a few Revox and Technics Reel to Reel machines years ago used on film sets with connections like that .
    Not actually working as recorders or playback machines just spool turners.