Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Crackle finish - my first attempt - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Crackle finish - my first attempt

What's Hot
HilditchGuitarsHilditchGuitars Frets: 318
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
Towards the end of last year I got an order featuring a custom shape (not for everyone but my customer loved it and that's the point right?) to be finished in black crackle over red/yellow burst. This was to be my first one in this finish, and not being one to shy away from a challenge I naturally jumped at the chance. 

So here's the shape, Maple and Walnut through neck, Mahogany wings

Oh yeah, it also has a bottle opener on the back haha

Once everything was nicely sanded to 240 and grain filled, it was time to tackle the beast that was the spraying.
For those not familiar with crackle, it's a 2 part paint system that consists of a base coat available in almost any colour you can imagine, and a top coat that is designed to react with the base to create the cracks. I'm not sure if top colours are more limited but the usual tends to be black or white. I know the system I use is available in clear too.
Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HilditchGuitarsHilditchGuitars Frets: 318
    edited July 2023
    I did a test first just to get a feel for the paint and an idea of how to create what my customer wanted. 
    The thicker the apply the top, the bigger the cracks. So the trick is getting a nice heavy coat on a full guitar body without causing runs. Easy, ha. And you have to do it all in one as you cant go back and ad to it, and the thinner the coat the quicker it dries so you have to be quick so as not to end up with hazey micro cracks (which I did in areas)

Banana base coat on 

Then the red burst. At this point, though, I didn't realise that the top coat would also pull some of this out and I'd end up with a much smaller red part. Noted for next time.

Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Then the black top. You can see where I got it a little too thin around the pickup and the back, but my customer was happy with the gradients so it was all good

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Now you have to clear coat it or it will all just come off. That was fun and took many coats to get the valleys of the cracks level with the top. It's all cellulose based too so the clear is nitro, and I forget how many coats it took but it was a lot ha. Luckily I had a base coat which i used first which made a big difference in the early leveling part. You'll notice too that the larger black areas continued to micro crack in the meantime. Not sure if that is something I can address next time or whether it's the nature of the particular system I used. I know a lot of the American brands have huge black patches but I have an account with a manufacturer over here and this is the system they produce. 

Matching headstock

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    After a good 3-4 weeks I got it all wet sanded and polished up and assembled. He even ordered a custom case in red and black crackle, now that was a job to get the cracks even, which I failed haha, but again he was thrilled so that's all that matters.

I got the box covered in velour before he collected, I just don't have pic after this strangely.

So there we have it, my first crackle finish guitar. Was a great project, I always like trying new things, whether they work out or not.
    I've got loads left so I really want to do a few more in this finish and experiment with top coat thickness and colours. 
    0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    That looks amazing...I do love a crackle finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Wowsers that sexy af! Superb work  :o
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks both. I have to say, I do actually really like the shape and the crackle is the finishing touch to complete the whole package
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    That’s so awesome ,well done 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Looks excellent :+1: 
    I reckon @Nightswan & @imalrightjack  just might have a view too  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3503
    Good call, @Kittyfrisk - somebody beat me to wowsers, so I've italicised it for emphasis!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    That looks so professional. Nice skills mate, very cool
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Extremely good job! Well done
  • Good call, @Kittyfrisk - somebody beat me to wowsers, so I've italicised it for emphasis!
    Thanks so much. Are you planning something similar yourself then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for all the kind words, glad you like it
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1142
    Looks excellent :+1: 
    I reckon @Nightswan & @imalrightjack  just might have a view too  ;)
    I missed this so thanks for the heads up! Great looking crackle!
  • Thanks @Nightswan glad you think so
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1004
    Very nice work, Which system did you use for this one?

I used the Montana cans White base+Crackle a few years ago and it was a PITA to get right even after a number of tests, these were full body spray attemps 3 & 4

Only the blue/black made it to a full build, both were clear coated with Solrez UV Epoxy (brushed on) which saves a heap of time on building up the clear to fill the crack valleys and withthe help of a UV lamp can be ready for lvl'ing and buffing in under 5 mins

I clear coated the Red/Black one much to soon (it gas'ed off for about 7 days) and about 3 days later it formed large blisters in the clear so i stripped it all off (what a mess that was!) 

I have a 90's Vester that need refreting & refinishing so i think im going to give crackling another go soon'ish

If anyone else is thinking of trying the montana stuff make sure you get a tighter spray cap and go slow/heavy with the crackle coat, if you get a light misting of it over the base it will micro crackle in an instant and if you try and go back over it the 2nd coat just goes to powered and does not crack (this dispite montana claiming you can do a 2nd pass 5 mins after the first on the can)

• @Gizmo Thanks. I used Morrells as that's who I have my account with, and it's cellulose based which I'm pretty sure means you can only cover it with more cellulose based lacquer.
    That blue one is great, I love how you have the horizontal rows of cracks, great effect.
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1142
    Thanks @Nightswan glad you think so
    Most welcome! For your first attempt I think you nailed it as good as you could have. I've seen refinishers online trying to do crackles and their first, second and even third attempts are nowhere near as good as your one. I'd be very happy with it if you did that for me.
  • Nightswan said:
    Thanks @Nightswan glad you think so
    Most welcome! For your first attempt I think you nailed it as good as you could have. I've seen refinishers online trying to do crackles and their first, second and even third attempts are nowhere near as good as your one. I'd be very happy with it if you did that for me.
    wow, that means a lot. I've really concentrated on my finishing over the last 2 years, it's opened up a lot of options for me with orders etc. I'm planning another crackle - pink under black on something like an iceman style
  • Fixed the missing photos, for anyone interested