Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Removing Preamp Tube Shield Bases - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Removing Preamp Tube Shield Bases

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
edited June 2023 in Amps
Is it okay to remove these bases? Or are they integral to securing the valve sockets? Also, do the shields improve sonic performance?

Removing them would make it much easier to swap tubes - but putting them back again, it’s not a simple job,  there are wires in the way…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    yes they can normally be removed, but you will need a retaining bracket to replace them. I have a bag full if you want three PM me your address.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I wouldn’t. The shields do reduce noise a bit, and getting the valves out is easy if you wrap an elastic band round them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Geez! Some people want an easy life! Try changing a wee B7G triode in a VHF TV tuner with your left (wrong for me) hand where there is no way to see the pin orientation!

The screens do little in my experience but some designs might need then to prevent instability. You could cut them off with a Dremel saw?

Dave.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    IME they are mostly not needed for shielding, Any effect they may have at reducing noise is negated by the quality of valves these days.
    You can test it by fitting and removing the shield can while the amp is on.
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    If The amp is designed to be that way for a reason I would leave it alone. You shouldn't need to change preamp tubes that often for it to be an issue ! If you look at the valve base and check the way the pin layout is on one socket the others will be the
     same. After you have put a tube in a couple of times it won't bother you.