Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What songs are missing from Rick Beato's "What makes this song great?" - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What songs are missing from Rick Beato's "What makes this song great?"

What's Hot
Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
edited June 2023 in Music
I'd like to see Rick tackle this one as I've always thought it was a bit genius. I don't particularly like the band, but the stars aligned on this one. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I think the words missing from this thread title are "Rick Beato's".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    Philly_Q said:
    I think the words missing from this thread title are "Rick Beato's".
     :3 
    Sorry for taking the piss. ;)  But it took me 20 seconds to understand it.
  • How long is a piece of string?
    (Which by the way, if is a real song then I've just hit two birds with one stone....which might also be another song) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    It would be interesting to see him get a video's-worth of analysis out of You Suffer. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    How long is a piece of string?
    (Which by the way, if is a real song then I've just hit two birds with one stone....which might also be another song) 
    It would have to have some interesting musical elements and pass the longevity test.

The Guardian/Old Music actually dug up the song in the OP .

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2012/jul/06/old-music-ride-twisterella
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 378
    I’ve often thought that It Bites’ Once Around the World would make an interesting analysis.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    I’ve often thought that It Bites’ Once Around the World would make an interesting analysis.
    I wouldn't know where to start with that one, although I can hear a few Yes influences in there somewhere. For me there is a difference between a favourite song and an musically interesting song. I like Rick Beato's approach where he exposes the elements that make something happen, which might not be obvious from listening to a finished track. I actually collect song stems which are a great resource for learning about music composition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Never saw any kinks on there but maybe I just missed it. Lots to dive into on the theory/harmony side
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    It would be interesting to see him get a video's-worth of analysis out of You Suffer. 
    But…why?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd pick Leave Them All Behind over Twisterella, so Rick can marvel over the bass tone, furious drumming and layers of distorted and wah guitars

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    I think I have answered my own question. After watching a few YouTube tutorial videos of the song it appears that the main riff is a perfect loop that could go on indefinitely, so when the song moves away from the riff your brain wants to go back there and there is a pay-off when it happens. Obviously the melody and bassline play a part too, but the Andy Bell riff is where the money is. I knew it was genius 
    I don't think Andy Bell plays it exactly like this, but this version emphasises the repetitive nature of  the loop.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    For me it might be an older Queensryche song - maybe off Rage For Order, Mindcrime or Empire.
    Just need to figure out which ......

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Based on when I recently saw his 'Evening with..' show, he told us that he'd acquired full and original recordings for @3000 tracks from a studio engineer and had swapped a very famous bass drum and snare sample for them (not divulged). That's probably why in the main, he keeps to these songs as he can isolate parts for 'What makes this song great' but he has dipped outside of those with newer tracks.

I don't have a suggestion but this list might help with which titles have already been covered
    http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10256
    edited June 2023
    Kebabkid said:
    Based on when I recently saw his 'Evening with..' show, he told us that he'd acquired full and original recordings for @3000 tracks from a studio engineer and had swapped a very famous bass drum and snare sample for them (not divulged). That's probably why in the main, he keeps to these songs as he can isolate parts for 'What makes this song great' but he has dipped outside of those with newer tracks.

I don't have a suggestion but this list might help with which titles have already been covered
    http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10256
    I have had zero formal musical training, but between Rick, websites like Hooktheory, and a collection of song stems, I have been able to navigate myself through the maze of how a good song works. These days when I write original material, I usually start off on a piano and play around with melody and harmony until I find something interesting, and then I chart it up and add orchestration, etc.

e.g. combining Rick Episode 1 & Hooktheory.

https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/blink-182/all-the-small-things

I don't think I'll ever be able to understand the way he analyses these songs.  I just like what I like - if Rick did analyse something I think is great he'd probably "prove" it's really shite, but why should I care?

That's not having a dig at him or saying his analysis videos are bullshit, I'm sure he's absolutely right.  It's just beyond my comprehension.
    edited June 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't think I'll ever be able to understand the way he analyses these songs.  I just like what I like - if Rick did analyse something I think is great he'd probably "prove" it's really shite, but why should I care?

That's not having a dig at him or saying his analysis videos are bullshit, I'm sure he's absolutely right.  It's just beyond my comprehension.
    I see it as a way to become more aware of the different techniques that are available to songwriters. I've studied art, and the first things you learn are the basic methods of drawing and painting, alongside the history of art. One you have this knowledge you can then develop your own individual style. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Don't Dream It's Over.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    I wouldn’t mind seeing this one analysed:

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    viz said:
    I wouldn’t mind seeing this one analysed:

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
    He's no Morrissey  :)
    Vintage65 said:
    He's no Morrissey  :)
    That's true in many ways.
    Out of all the Stock Aiken Waterman back catalogue, Never Gonna Give You Up travelled better than most.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Looked up the list of songs already discussed by Beato. The thing most conspicuously lacking is music by African-American artistes.
    Be seeing you.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Looked up the list of songs already discussed by Beato. The thing most conspicuously lacking is music by African-American artistes.

I think he has quite a relatively small pot of music that he does like or consider worthy (50s jazz, The Beatles, jazz rock,grunge) so there's a whole swathe of (non jazz) African American music (blues, funk, soul, RnB,etc) and non American music (I'm sure even Rick thinks Bob Marley could write a song although obviously not enough chords) that never even seems to get a mention even in passing on his shows. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    They had dozens of great KLOS sessions on Soundcloud which have now gone but here's a taste. 

As for Beato, Cornflake Girl 
  • He focuses on genres, songs and bands he likes… nothing wrong with that. I don’t think the selections are meant to represent a selection of the greatest songs… just songs likes and rates highly (and has the recordings of!). 
    He focuses on genres, songs and bands he likes… nothing wrong with that. I don’t think the selections are meant to represent a selection of the greatest songs… just songs likes and rates highly (and has the recordings of!). 
    I think he sticks to what he knows having played in bands and been a music producer, etc.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Vintage65 said:
    He focuses on genres, songs and bands he likes… nothing wrong with that. I don’t think the selections are meant to represent a selection of the greatest songs… just songs likes and rates highly (and has the recordings of!). 
    I think he sticks to what he knows having played in bands and been a music producer, etc.
    He has talked about how he didn't produce rap and hip hop like some of his peers. He produced mostly nu metal and wrote a number one pop country song. I agree I think it's a genre thing
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Jilted John