Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Speakers to swap out of a 2061cx with a G12H30 and a G12M Greenback - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Speakers to swap out of a 2061cx with a G12H30 and a G12M Greenback

ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 295
I've long loved my 2061cx cab and it's suited my needs for years, which were at the most, the ability to handle a max of 30w with a variety of Marshall/Matchless heads. 

For my plexi sounds, I've 100% found what I wanted in a Divided by 13 JJN50/100. It's overkill in wattage. I bought it in a great deal, not really knowing what to expect. However, since then I have eventually sold every Marshall style head I own, because this is perfection in my ears. The only issue was the wattage, but not in the traditional volume sense. 

The MV on the JJN is amazing, so no need to crank it, and I also own an Ox Box to use when I do want to try it with the MV up. I've been playing it like this for a couple of years now and love it through the current cab configuration. The one thing that's wearing on me is the constant concern that the amp puts out too much power for the speakers in the cab, and I have to always be aware of whether the Ox is switched on, or which power mode the amp is at.

Wanting to free myself of this burden; can anyone recommend a speaker combination that would allow me to play this amp worry free (without the attenuator), yet sound as true as possible to the current G12H30 and G12M combination?

I'm not stubborn in the sense that it needs to exactly recreate what I'm hearing, even anecdotal recommendations for plexi style heads through a closed back 2x12 would be great. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• What’s the wattage of the amp sorry?
    If you want more power than a G12H30 and G12M then maybe get the Creamback H and M? You won’t replicate the exact sound but I guess that’s the closest pairing, just turn the treble/presence up a bit if you need to 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    G12H-75 and G12M-65 Creambacks. They’re slightly darker and tighter than the 30 and 25, but not much… definitely in the same ballpark.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 295
    @noisepolluter it's a 100w, switchable down to 50w in which case it only uses two of the power tubes I believe. Both yourself and @ICBMthank you for the advice. Will keep my eyes peeled for some Creambacks
  • @noisepolluter it's a 100w, switchable down to 50w in which case it only uses two of the power tubes I believe. Both yourself and @ICBMthank you for the advice. Will keep my eyes peeled for some Creambacks
    I have a Creamback H75 in both my DSL40 and my Zilla 1x12 with SC20H, and my other half has one in a 1912 cab with 2061X head. Great sounding speaker in all those setups. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Neo creambacks might be an option, particularly as they are lower efficiency than H mag speakers at around 96-97db. I put a pair in a 2x12 and was quite surprised by how much quieter they are than the blue / hempback that were in there. 

As I’m using a 2.5watt amp right now, that’s not really desirable, so I’ll be selling them eventually, unless I buy a bigger amp that would benefit from the reduced efficiency. 
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 115
    Fane F70s are fairly similar sounding to the G12H30, perhaps a bit less crisp in the highs. Not sure if they have a speaker that is like a Greenback...