Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Binding a Les Paul body - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Binding a Les Paul body

What's Hot
SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Against my better judgement I've taken on the task of adding top binding to a Gibson Les Paul.

I've used my G&W binding jig for most of it which was a breeze but the jig won't get into the cutaway as the fretboard is in the way.

Short of removing the fretboard(!) any ideas for a neat job or is it just a case of use a sharp chisel and take it slowly?

I might see if I can make a small jig to hold a Stanley blade the requisite distance and score the top and lower edge...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    An enviable task. I’d stick with a chisel for that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    *Unenviable? I do have a Stewmac Binding Router Guide that might do most of the rest. Will do some practice cuts with it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    A bit too late, but was there any discussion about "faux binding"?
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    *Unenviable?
    Was being sarcastic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited June 2023
    I've done the cutaway a few ways.

Stew-mac dremel binding attachment.
    Radius Dish UK Tru channel style binding jig. 
    Handheld brass purfling cutter to mark, then knives and chisels to clean up

They all work.  The proper binding jig is easiest and safest, but obviously  costs more and take up more room

Edit... missed that the neck was on... knives and chisels all the way for that cutaway section
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    elstoof said:
    *Unenviable?
    Was being sarcastic
    https://youtu.be/_q3k7K11cyQ
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    edited July 2023
    Yes - that last couple of inches needs to be chisels and mallet, I'm afraid. 

If the rest of it has been done with any half-decent rig, then at least you will have a pretty decent shelf that you can use as a chisel platform once you are down to the final 0.1mm's of removal.

I find that the Crown stubby chisels from Axminster are ideal for this kind of thing.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Thanks I've managed to make a good job with chisels, I'm going to glue the binding on next week.