Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Benson-AS - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Benson-AS

stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
I’m back from our Pacific NW trip and as usual I tried out a bunch of local stuff while I was there. Sadly I didn’t find any Belle Epochs to try out, but did look at a bunch of other Catalinbread & Spaceman stuff.

In Portland I picked up a couple of Bensons, which I’m super happy with. I also tried the new Stonk Box which is fabulous, but not so interesting for me as I already have a Boneyard. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    Both of those are superb pedals. I have a Benson preamp on all three boards! Loved the tones of the fuzz too although the warm up time didn’t mix well with my impatience!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Yeah, absolutely. I wasn't expecting o be this impressed with either of them but in the end they beat out some stuff from Spaceman and Union Tube & Transistor. 

The preamp is really special - it essentially does what I hoped the Hudson Broadcast might give me but didn't. Choosing colours wasn't easy either - I could've happily had 4 different ones :D 

As for the fuzz, I've never used fuzzes in a band context but I can see this one actually working nicely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

I had the Benson Fuzz but sold it on, becuase I wanted something nastier and not so low gain.

I subsequently got a Broadcast, but it doesn't sound as good as the Benson in the low gain range.  I know the Benson preamp is the closer pedal in design, but there's still overlap between the Broadcast and Benson Fuzz.

The Benson is really dynamic, kind of like a germanium overdrive rather than a fuzz.  Sounds great boosted also.
    Although it wasn't what I was looking for I probably should have kept it, as it's such a nice pedal, I prefer it to the broadcast to be honest.

I had the Benson Fuzz but sold it on, becuase I wanted something nastier and not so low gain.

I subsequently got a Broadcast, but it doesn't sound as good as the Benson in the low gain range.  I know the Benson preamp is the closer pedal in design, but there's still overlap between the Broadcast and Benson Fuzz.

The Benson is really dynamic, kind of like a germanium overdrive rather than a fuzz.  Sounds great boosted also.
    Although it wasn't what I was looking for I probably should have kept it, as it's such a nice pedal, I prefer it to the broadcast to be honest.
    Agree with all that. I think the overdrivey feel is probably why I like the fuzz so much. It just reacts how I want it to, which is ace :)
  • I love that preamp colour. Very nice!

What Union T&T pedal(s) did you try?
    I love that preamp colour. Very nice!

What Union T&T pedal(s) did you try?
    I’m not even sure I remember correctly. Definitely the Swindle and Evermore. I think they’re good at what they do but just not what I need. 

The preamp colours are bonkers. They also had a shell pink one which was great, plus a bunch of varying silver, gold, black combos. I think if the sonic blue was in stock that would have nicked it but the red is awesome. I can see myself using this on multiple boards so maybe I’ll end up with more than one anyway!!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Agree with all that. I think the overdrivey feel is probably why I like the fuzz so much. It just reacts how I want it to, which is ace :)
    I might pick up another to be honest.   Definitely turns full fuzz with a boost before it.

Not sure on the Broadcast, some good sounds but not as instantly likeable as the Broadcast was and a bit harder to dial in.
    Yeah, I tried with the Broadcast but just didn’t get the love at all. With the gain low it felt really dry and anaemic; with the gain up it was snarly and fuzzy but not in a way I actually enjoyed playing at all. 

The Benson by comparison is full and juicy, and the tone controls mean it’s way more tweakable to work with specific guitars & amps 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    I'd love to try one of his amps, but of course, ££££. Dan Phelps is a Benson guy always sounds great through his. 
    I'm still absolutely *loving* both of these but particularly the Preamp. Funnily enough I actually had the CB Preamp mk2 on the board for a bit of fun in yesterday's band practice and ended up unintentionally setting it perfectly in a way that ignored all added features and identical to how the regular Preamp is set at home. It was 100% guided by my ears, so that feels like I'm in a good place and it makes my Dano Strat in particular just sound magical. 

I think I'll see the mk2!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    Absolutely shameless plug for the Ltd Ed. Benson Preamp that I have for sale on here.....  ;)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/250380/fs-benson-preamp-limited-edition-in-orange-and-white-finish#latest

I have three of these Benson Preamp pedals, absolute tone monsters! 
    Honestly I'm tempted myself...!