Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar repair timeline - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar repair timeline

What's Hot
Hi all, I'd love some advice on a guitar repair I've commissioned. 

I commissioned a luthier to repair an old acoustic for me. It is quite a lot of work and included a neck reset, bridge reset and a refret. The original timeline quoted was 2 months. It has now been six and a half months. He has only returned one of the emails I have sent him. I've tried calling him too and the last time he picked up was over two months ago. On the phon, He stated that he will start the repair that week and will work exclusively on that guitar. He stated the reason for the delay was that he was waiting for his bench to clear so that he could work exclusively on my guitar. He also said it would be done in a month. A week after the call I received photos of the guitar with the neck off so he has started. I haven't heard anything at all in over two months and am getting tired of waiting.

Any advice on what to do? 

It would take me a long time to get to his workshop so just dropping by isn't ideal but maybe my best opportunity. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited June 2023
    @ChoivertIf it was me and my guitar, I'd pay for what he's done so far, take the guitar home and approach someone else.

EDIT: there's a good tech in your area...well 3, actually. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    Despite what they will tell you about waiting lists etc., most luthiers aren't that busy. Getting on for 7 months means you're are/were on the back boiler.

Now you've got his attention, ask for some progress photos.

+/- Why don't you give tFB the name and get others experience of them. Then you would be better guided on how to act?

This is a commercial contract verbal or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Mellish said:
    @ChoivertIf it was me and my guitar, I'd pay for what he's done so far, take the guitar home and approach someone else.

EDIT: there's a good tech in your area...well 3, actually. 

Can they all do an acoustic neck reset?

• Sounds to me like he doesn't want to do it for some reason.
    I'm in Buxton if I can help at all, I have a good network over here
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    edited June 2023
    @ToneControl ; well can HE? He's good at breaking his word, that's for sure :) 

Can the other three do neck resets? Well only one of them has worked on guitars I've had, and he's pretty good (I've PM'd his whereabouts to @Choivert), the other two get good recommendations on here.

• ChoivertChoivert Frets: 45
    Thank you for all the comments everyone. I have managed to get in touch with him. Supposedly there is only a few weeks to wait and it will be finished. The thing I am most frustrated by is the lack of communication. Having managed to get ahold of him he had some unforeseen things come up that have caused delays. I really just wish he would have communicated them with me rather than me have to continually chase him. Hopefully, it will be for finished soon, just lacquer to do now. 
    I believe he is a talented luthier but perhaps needs to grow into the business management/communication part of his job. 
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited June 2023
    I don’t what kind of payment plan you worked out but if i if was commissioning this kind of work I would not pay all the fee up front. 

Obviously they might have certain costs or cashflow issues to contend with so 33% up front and the rest on completion seems fair, and provides an incentive not to delay
    @Choivert ; hopefully you'll get it back soon and the work will be good.

As you say, it would've been nice to be kept updated rather than having to *wonder* how the work is going. 

:)