Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). TSL601 skip find - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

TSL601 skip find

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
A guy I know a bit (not a guitarist per se, but a bit of a dabbler) told me he’d found a Marshall amp in a skip. After a bit of discussion I’m pretty sure it’s a TSL601

Apparently it’s works but is very quiet (as in really low output). He was asking what the likely cause was. I’ve told him he needs to take it to an amp tech to get it checked over. 

I’m not at all familiar with Marshall stuff. First off, is it worth him getting it repaired? 

Will it make a decent amp once it’s fixed? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    A friend of mine has one. I'd wait for more expert opinions, but personally I'd remove the knobs and the logo and put the rest back in the skip. 
    :)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    p90fool said:
    A friend of mine has one. I'd wait for more expert opinions, but personally I'd remove the knobs and the logo and put the rest back in the skip. 
    :)
    Hmmm, yes, did wonder if that might be the way! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    What p90fool said - take the speaker, valves, knobs, the logo and handle if you can be bothered, and return the rest from whence it came. Don't throw good money at it.

Quiet is normal for these - they're the weakest-sounding "60W" (or even 50W, which is closer to the truth) valve amp I've ever come across even when they work - and they have major reliability issues, so if it's *really* quiet then there's probably something else wrong with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Save the transformers for me and I’ll cover your postage!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Remove the chassis from cab, remove the knobs, logo, handle/s and burn the rest of the absolute fucking shambles of the TSL innards. 

Then throw it back in the skip. 
    Keefy said:
    A shorted output transformer is a possible reason for being very quiet...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Ok chaps, thanks for the advice. 

I’ll pass on the comments. I doubt he’ll be bothered about stripping it for parts…..it’ll be in a skip again shortly I guess. :)
    ICBM said:
    Keefy said:
    True but I have a test rig for OTs, and the PT is still worth having.
    Keefy said:
    ICBM said:
    Keefy said:
    He doesn’t live near me unfortunately or I’d offer to go get it and strip it for you.
    Rowby1 said:

I doubt he’ll be bothered about stripping it for parts…..it’ll be in a skip again shortly I guess. :)
    At the very least, he should take the valves and the speaker out - they're actually worth something.

Keefy said:

Debatable unless you have another TSL60 with a blown one ;).

ICBM said:
    Keefy said:

Debatable unless you have another TSL60 with a blown one ;).
    That bad eh?
    Keefy said:

That bad eh?
    Weedy underspec crap with no proper end covers, designed to fit through the chassis cutout.

OK, you could fit it with some... but then it would still be weedy underspec crap!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Strip it, but don’t put it in a skip.

Send it back to Marshall with a “recipient pays” type service with a note that says “Fuck you Marshall, that’s why!”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter