Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is there a consensus of opinion on the best pots to buy? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is there a consensus of opinion on the best pots to buy?

What's Hot
I've bought lots of potentiometers over the years, most were OK but not great, a few though have been superb. I'm wondering where I can find superb ones more consistently? 

Basically I like a smooth action, not too stiff or loose, plus the whole range working, from 0 to 10 with an even gradation.

I've heard CTS mentioned a lot in the past, but they seem a bit hit and miss to me.

What are your favourites?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited June 2023
    CTS pots are now manufactured in several countries. e.g. The packaging for the ones marketed as Genuine Fender Spare Parts is usually labelled Made In Taiwan.

My preference is for the versions with a dimple in the bottom of the case rather than a flat surface.

Bourns are good. So are the MEC items used in German Warwick basses.

For volume controls, I am fond of the taper on DiMarzio Pro Parts.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Premium CTS are my usual pics. Emerson and Bareknuckle both spec very good ones that I’ve been very happy with 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I like Bourns for low torque 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    I love the Bourns for low friction (but you said you're not a fan of too loose) but they burn out quite easily if soldering with too much heat.

CTS are tough but stiff. Full size Alphas are okay too. 

Modern pots all seem to wear out quite fast. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    The Emerson spec CTS are my favourites; smooth feel and a nice taper.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Whichever ones fit the splines of the knobs I have
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited June 2023
    roberty said:
    That's actually the thing that puts me off Bourns pots a bit.  I have used them in several of my guitars.  I've found them to be very reliable and the tolerances are usually very good, but they turn far too easily for my liking.  I like my pots to have a bit more "friction".  I know that's not really the correct word, but I can't think in a more appropriate one.  I've been quite happy with Alpha and CTS, and the "superior" pots that axetec sells have done the job well enough for me.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    axisus said:
    I've bought lots of potentiometers over the years, most were OK but not great, a few though have been superb. I'm wondering where I can find superb ones more consistently? 

Basically I like a smooth action, not too stiff or loose, plus the whole range working, from 0 to 10 with an even gradation.

I've heard CTS mentioned a lot in the past, but they seem a bit hit and miss to me.

For what purpose? Amps? Guitars? FX pedals?
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    axisus said:

DiMarzio Pro Parts definitely. I've swapped all my Bourns pots for them.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Lots of mention of the DiMarzio pots... they're made by CTS, though. You can see the stamp on the top plate:

I have used them in the past and they were good, though.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    BillDL said:
    roberty said:
    That's actually the thing that puts me off Bourns pots a bit.  I have used them in several of my guitars.  I've found them to be very reliable and the tolerances are usually very good, but they turn far too easily for my liking.  I like my pots to have a bit more "friction".  I know that's not really the correct word, but I can't think in a more appropriate one.  I've been quite happy with Alpha and CTS, and the "superior" pots that axetec sells have done the job well enough for me.
    I rarely use the controls when I'm singing but when I do I will quickly turn the volume from 10 to around 3 to clean up. I can do that in a split second with Bourns. Don't really have time to think. When I was playing guitar and not singing I was much more hands on with the controls
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    The size of your knob (matron! etc) will play a part in how a pot feels, a big Gibson speed knob will feel easier to turn than a little Telecaster one with the exact same pot
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Just found these - Jim Dunlop pots at an eye watering £23.99!

I wonder if they are worth it?

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/electronics-c698/potentiometers-c109/jim-dunlop-dsp-super-pot-250k-split-shaft-p13345
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Just try getting your Servisol in there to clean the carbon track! (see also the new S1 pots)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    impmann said:
    Lots of mention of the DiMarzio pots... they're made by CTS, though. You can see the stamp on the top plate:

These are also properly made with the circlip on the shaft, unlike the modern standard-range CTS. It’s worth paying the extra for this alone, as it stops the pot coming apart when you push the knob on, if it’s a tight fit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FayeFaye Frets: 77
    axisus said:
    the whole range working, from 0 to 10 with an even gradation.

I prefer linear pots for this, and use CTS 250k with P90s. That's without a tone control though. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    ICBM said:
    impmann said:

These are also properly made with the circlip on the shaft, unlike the modern standard-range CTS. It’s worth paying the extra for this alone, as it stops the pot coming apart when you push the knob on, if it’s a tight fit.
    This.    Ive had too many supposed high quality pots start to go loose when the control knobs are fitted.