Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Broadway archtop ID? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Broadway archtop ID?

colskicolski Frets: 20
Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this archtop, which I acquired recently.
50's/60's I assume, deep bodied, lovely light checking on the finish, I've updated the tuners as the originals weren't up to much. I've seen the "history of broadway guitars" website, but don't see this model on there. Thanks in advance!
The logo says "Broadway", but I'm not sure if that's the breand, or the model name.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    Have you had a look around inside with a torch for any label or makers marks? Anything on back of headstock?

Tailpiece very unusual.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • colskicolski Frets: 20
    DavidR said:
    Have you had a look around inside with a torch for any label or makers marks? Anything on back of headstock?

Tailpiece very unusual.

Had a good look, no stamped numbers, labels inside, nothing! I've played a good few old 50's/60's archops and been unimpressed, but this one is in great nick and sounds fantastic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Made by Framus (Germany), 1950s - distinctive f-hole shape. They made a lot for UK importers under various brands.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    ICBM said:
    Made by Framus (Germany), 1950s - distinctive f-hole shape. They made a lot for UK importers under various brands.

That's a good shout - I was going to suggest Framus, but for the lack of the distinctive fretboard markers, so wasn't so sure. There's a superb guitar player called Chris Corcoran (swing, jazz, blue, bebop) and he plays a Broadway which is a Framus - he picked it up in a junk shop, put a P90 on it, and basically turned it into an ES-125.
    Call me Dave.
    ICBM said:

Interesting, and food for thought. Certainly the headstock looks like the Zenith shape (not the usual Framus offset style). The tailpiece is intriguing, I really like it. It does look like the Framus style f-holes too.
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    ICBM said:
    My guess was going to be Framus. They branded stuff as all sorts here.  I’m pretty sure my Besson Aristone was made by Framus. Same sort of f-holes. 

• PennPenn Frets: 351

After further investigation, this archtop seems to be an amalgamation of a Framus Capri or Florida (matching bridge, f-holes and very distinctive tailpiece) but it also has an identical "Broadway" logo as an Oskar Teller/Tellson Broadway model.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Penn said:

My guess was going to be Framus. They branded stuff as all sorts here.  I’m pretty sure my Besson Aristone was made by Framus. Same sort of f-holes. 

Those are standard f-holes - what's distinctive about the Framus ones is the lack of the notch in the middle. I think that may actually be a Hopf, although there's so much crossover of design features that it can sometimes be very hard to be sure!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson