Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tone Master Deluxe Reverb - how are you using yours? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tone Master Deluxe Reverb - how are you using yours?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
Oh man - I just had a VERY good noodle through the Tone Master (Blonde) using it a bit differently that I thought I would. 

Slightly prompted by this popping up in my YT feed: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WInsuBYiKSA

I set it at 7 or 8 on the volume control, adjusted the attenuator to keep the subsequent familial grumbling to the necessary minimum and had at it with the DGT. 

Having spent the morning enjoying, comparing and stacking various overdrive pedals so that I could also have easy access to lovely Fender clean when wanted, this was a different approach and if I'm honest, one I think I prefer. I was able to pull back to suitably clean things via the guitar volume (albeit not quite as balanced and lovely a clean sound) but honestly, with a humbucker and the TMDR(B) on 8 I'd only ever need one overdrive pedal. 

It was fab. 

I may just do this by default now. 
"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    For live I’m playing our more “rock” stuff - into about 4 songs in the set. I usually set everything on 6, attenuation down 2 clicks to tame the on-stage volume, and use Origin RE Compact and Jan Ray to add grit/fatness as needed. Then the DI straight to the PA. 

At home, volume on 3 or 4 and used more as a clean platform for pedals 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    If you haven’t already, link channels and blend the sound too. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    I haven't yet no - I'd read that they were out of phase (like in the original) so had assumed it wouldn't sound great - but there's an easy way to find out I guess.... 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    These have attenuators built in?

I had no idea.

I had no idea.
    Oh yes - well probably more true to say that as they have Class D power sections they have different valve-equivalent power settings (rather than being attenuated down like in a valve amp - but that's the familiar terminology) - for the DR version those being 22w, 12w, 5w, 1w, 0.5w, 0.2w

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I might have to put it on the list, for when the kids have left home anyway!
    I might have to put it on the list, for when the kids have left home anyway!
    I'm seriously impressed with my blonde one 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    TimmyO said:

I had no idea.
    Oh yes - well probably more true to say that as they have Class D power sections they have different valve-equivalent power settings (rather than being attenuated down like in a valve amp - but that's the familiar terminology) - for the DR version those being 22w, 12w, 5w, 1w, 0.5w, 0.2w

This is the main appeal for me, even the Twin model lets you go down to 1w which might even be usable for reasonable home volume levels!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752

I had no idea.
    Not really
    The power amp is a general purpose class D amp with integral power supply. It has no power attenuation between it's self and the speaker. Fender actually have no involvement in the power amp design. It was used in loads of things before the Tonemasters. 

What the Tonemasters have is another volume control which lowers the audio voltage .. leading to a lower volume from the power amp. Which can be useful as well. But it's clever marketing to lead people to think it's some kind of power amp attenuation. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 111
    I've been vacillating on this with my Tone Master Princeton Reverb. I did have it set to 4 (a warm clean) and was using the Keeley Super Phat Mod to take it to edge of breakup.

More tinkering after reading this thread now has me setting it to 6 or so, edge of breakup territory for my Tele. I can roll back the guitar volume to get totally clean, or stomp on the SPM to take it up to the equivalent of 8, which is a very good time indeed. The SPM cleans up very well on the guitar volume too, so I can get into that space between 6-8 that way. Does mean more knob twiddling, but that's necessary on a Tele anyway due to the tone difference between the pups.

I also have a DS-1 clone (MXR M78) on the board for going to 12 when required. Given a flat (or similarly scooped) EQed pedal, the TMPR seems to keep its own character, just with more gain. Kicking in something mid-humped totally changes things, mind.
  • HandwrittenHeroHandwrittenHero Frets: 815
    edited June 2023
    Channel 2 v6 t6 b2 rev2 all approx numbers. Input 2 for humbuckers etc input 1 for single coil. Tumnus in signal chain if want to shape a little. Sweet honey overdrive to give it a little more. Easy peasy.

I’m using a black TMDR but the speaker and firmware are swapped so it’s a stealth blonde.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    TimmyO said:
    I haven't yet no - I'd read that they were out of phase (like in the original) so had assumed it wouldn't sound great - but there's an easy way to find out I guess.... 
    I believe that technically it is out of phase, but it’s part of the deluxe reverb magic that they do something special together. It certainly sounds great. 
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1003
    edited June 2023
    I noticed Chrissie Hynde using a TM DR at Glasto and the other guitarist had a TM SR - first time I’ve noticed tone masters on a big stage - mind you I don’t get out much
    I noticed Chrissie Hynde using a TM DR at Glasto and the other guitarist had a TR SR - first time I’ve noticed tone masters on a big stage - mind you I don’t get out much
    ha - nice 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    If Vox made a 'tonemaster' equivalent AC30 everyone would want one.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Fishboy7 said:
    I think see also Fender Bassman, Marshall JTM45 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I noticed Chrissie Hynde using a TM DR at Glasto and the other guitarist had a TM SR - first time I’ve noticed tone masters on a big stage - mind you I don’t get out much
    The SR was actually Johnny Marr’s. He usually has one under his full fat DR.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Fishboy7 said:
    Yes!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Fishboy7 said:
    Yes!
    And me! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    One of my friends has a Tonemaster Super Reverb. 
    I heard/played through it at a jam a couple of weeks ago. It sounded pretty awesome. Was also loud. Wasn’t lacking balls, for sure. 
    TimmyO said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    I think see also Fender Bassman, Marshall JTM45 
    I have a kind of Marshall Tonemaster. It does actually use the same module family as the Fenders but mine is stereo. 

It started out as a backup module for my Marshall MA valve 2 X12 combo. The idea was If the valve amp died I could use the power amp module screwed in the back and my Pod Go as a front end pre amp. Then I was repairing a Nux Mighty plug and I've always loved the plexi sound on that so I took the PCB out of that for the Marshall. 

So effectively it's an all valve Marshall 2 X 12 combo. But it also has a 2 X 75 watt stereo class D amp in the back. A stereo version of the Icepower modules used in the Tonemaster series. And it's got the DSP from the Nux mighty plug. What I'm working on is a step back footswitchable system for the Nux ... so I can go from Fender clean to Marshall Plexi on a footswitch. At the moment I either have to tap through on a push to make switch I wired up or switch directly via a phone and BT

When I have it figured out I will do a little demo and post it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Oh by the way the idea is if the marshall dies because of a valve fault during a gig I can flick 2 switchs and instantly use it in Tonemaster mode ...as  the only shared items are the mains and the speakers. It's not light like a Tonemaster. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk