Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Which multi fx for "setlist" mode? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Which multi fx for "setlist" mode?

What's Hot
edited June 2023 in Digital & Modelling
My friend is after a multi fx unit that she can use in different bands in setlist mode.

Ideally she wants to save the bands as banks, then have each song as a preset with a 2 or 3 different sounds per song. Overkill, but I guess I mean she needs to have a unit with 3 buttons.

I know the line 6 Helix is great, but it's too expensive. £500 max.

Is the HX Stomo suitable? Easy to use? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited June 2023
    HX Stomp if she needs amp sims.  HX Effects if she's okay with just the effects.  I used to have both but sold the Stomp because certain things on the Stomp require you to step on two buttons at the same time.  Others have plugged in separate control pedals to make life easier but I couldn't be arsed with any of that.  I prefer the HX FX because it's much easier to go in and out of modes, and I love the tiny dedicated screens above each footswitch.  

But to be honest she's looking for cheaper than those - Zoom, Joyo, Mooer multi FXs can do all of that as well (e.g. preset mode, stombox mode).  Pretty much a standard feature really.  I'm selling a Zoom G3 and G5 in case she's interested!    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 108
    i would imagine the Stomp XL could be picked up around that price, very good units with lots of functionality and in my experience, the most user friendly interface!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    You can achieve setlist mode by moving or copying patches into setlist order. Anything with copy/paste or save-as will do that. A next/previous capability also helps.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited June 2023
    I use a Boss GT100 for this,,, advance banks for tunes/sets.

If you are using more than one sound per song.. e.g rhythm and signature or solo parts, it is ideal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    My friend is after a multi fx unit that she can use in different bands in setlist mode.

Ideally she wants to save the bands as banks, then have each song as a preset with a 2 or 3 different sounds per song. Overkill, but I guess I mean she needs to have a unit with 3 buttons.

I know the line 6 Helix is great, but it's too expensive. £500 max.
    You can programme the Boss GT-1 to do that with a reasonable amount of determination. It's not how it comes stock but it can be done - it's how I use mine, effectively as a different pedalboard snapshot per song.

You need to re-assign the three footswitches to something like FX1 on/off, overdrive/distortion on/off and FX2 on/off, leave one of the knobs to control patch selection, and the other two to something useful (I have mine set to OD/DS level and overall level). There are no 'banks' as such, but there are enough user memories that it should be possible to save enough different pedalboard configurations for as many songs as she needs to save. Then all you need to do between songs is turn the patch-select knob to the song name you're about to play and it's foolproof.

Since the GT-1 appears to use the same control system as some of the other Boss multis it's possible that they allow this as well, but I only have experience with the GT-1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    I use a Boss GT100 for this,,, advance banks for tunes/sets.

If you are using more than one sound per song.. e.g rhythm and signature or solo parts, it is ideal.
    Same here. I use mine in 4 cable method with an amp. I use individual song patches so I can just use the same buttons to switch sounds and/or boost for solos - I also sing so the less looking for footswitchesb the better.. Often I use the same patch several times over with different song names but having it an a set list it makes it so much easier
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Pod Go is the obvious choice. It's the same sounds as the Helix but a third of the price. Very easy to program too. 
    It's a great unit for live work. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Another vote for Pod GO provided none of the sounds are too complex - it's got a pretty strict DSP limit compared to its big Helix brother. Fine for an amp, cab and 3 or 4 effects, but anything more complicated will require a unit with more horsepower.
    Tim
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    timmypix said:
    Another vote for Pod GO provided none of the sounds are too complex - it's got a pretty strict DSP limit compared to its big Helix brother. Fine for an amp, cab and 3 or 4 effects, but anything more complicated will require a unit with more horsepower.
    Yes and there's a couple of effects it doesn't have but in general it's amazing for the money. I suspect a lot of gig'ing muso's could have got by with the Pod Go rather than the Helix and saved themselves a lot of money. 

Let's face it, they aren't many situations that require more then Amp - cab - compression - intelligent harmony - tapped delay  -  reverb - wah and volume pedal
    I suspect most people gig'ing the Helix only use about a third of its capability in a live situation. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I use HX effects exactly like this, works fine. I wish it had a preview function before you actually switched to the next preset but apart from that it does the job.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 161
    edited June 2023
    I used an HX Stomp like this with an extra external footswitch for more options.

However, rather than having to change songs around to put them in set list order, I used the Bandhelper app on an android tablet with a Midi cable connected to the HX Stomp. You save the set list on Bandhelper, having already assigned a midi programme change message for each song to change to the right patch at the touch of a button on the tablet screen.

This is much quicker than reordering patches on an effects unit...as long as it has midi capability.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    HX Stomp - easy to use, a delight to programme, lots of options.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    I'm pretty sure all modern multifax stuuf does this. I've seen it on the Line 6 stuff and I can do it on my Boss GT-1000 with the "Live Sets" feature. At one point we experimented with controlling our floor stuff with midi over bluetooth from our set list software. It was interesting getting it all set up and seeing it working with, but honestly it was just a faff to do. I think if it was a big function band with a defined set list that would be very useful, but we are doing covers in pubs and I mainly jump between three main presets.

Anyway...most of the modern ones do it through software.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Pod Go does this.  You can create blocks of patches per gig that you can import/export as needed. See p9 of the Pod Go Wireless manual (same manual for non-wireless Pod Go) under "Importing and Exporting Setlists". 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)