Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Hendrix used amp - The Greatest Auction TV programme - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Hendrix used amp - The Greatest Auction TV programme

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 411
Anyone watch this nonsense that was on Channel 4 last night? You can see it on catch up if you missed it.

There was a Vox amp and cab that was apparently used by Hendrix in the sixties but there was no provinence mentioned (unsurprisingly!).

It didn't sell as the bidding only got to a couple of hundred quid over 4 grand, but it's now for sale at your favourite musical instrument retailer for slightly more: https://www.essexrecordingstudios.com/products/rare-jimi-hendrix-tour-played-vox-defiant-100-watt-artist-owned-vintage-guitar-amp-2x12-speaker-cab

Absolute joke.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Discounted due to the massively inappropriate late-70s/early-80s grille cloth and speakers... otherwise would be £99,999.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 230
    Reminds me of the comment Neil made in an episode of the Young Ones referring to a speaker cainet - "Jimi Hendrix once pissed on that"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Reminds me of the comment Neil made in an episode of the Young Ones referring to a speaker cainet - "Jimi Hendrix once pissed on that"
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Lets be honest, it wasn't exactly an amp he used *out of choice* or regularly or was core to some of his key, standout performances. So its just the usual hyperbole.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    edited June 2023
    Was more intrigued to see Jono from the Music Locker on there o . That Keith guy clearly has a few screws loose. I wonder if the planks of wood that the Beatles once walked across will be on the programme next week?

I knew exactly what was coming when that chair came up for sale. When you've got one guy that values things for 3 or 4 times what they are realisticaly worth then it is only going to have one outcome when they bid for it.

I remember when I used to go to auctions every week, buying figurines and things like that for ebay. There was always this one loud obnoxious dealer there, who bought everything for roughly the same price they tend to sell for on ebay. He was paying 15% on top of that to the auction house too. For some reason he was there every week buying up all the same type of things (Beswick, Lladro, etc), listing them on ebay, and losing money by my reckoning. I used to keep a close eye on him. A lot of work, just to lose money. Hundreds of items listed. For some people it's not about making money, it's about being the loudest, most obnoxious, "I've got all the best stuff" dealer possible. Whatever goes on in their tiny minds.   

Although I guess that is what TV producers want. Normal, sensible people are boring. It's all about finding the freaks, wierdos, and whatever else it takes to trigger people into talking about it, sharing it, and that's what brings the ratings in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Keiko said:

Although I guess that is what TV producers want. Normal, sensible people are boring. It's all about finding the freaks, wierdos, and whatever else it takes to trigger people into talking about it, sharing it, and that's what brings the ratings in.

Coming soon to Netflix...

'Fretboarders - The Mini Series'.

A sure fire hit.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Keiko said:

Where do I sign?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Hattigol said:
    Keiko said:

Coming soon to Netflix...

'Fret-hoarders - The Mini Series'.

A sure fire hit.
    FTFY
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Keiko said:
    Was more intrigued to see Jono from the Music Locker on there o . That Keith guy clearly has a few screws loose. I wonder if the planks of wood that the Beatles once walked across will be on the programme next week?

I knew exactly what was coming when that chair came up for sale. When you've got one guy that values things for 3 or 4 times what they are realisticaly worth then it is only going to have one outcome when they bid for it.

I remember when I used to go to auctions every week, buying figurines and things like that for ebay. There was always this one loud obnoxious dealer there, who bought everything for roughly the same price they tend to sell for on ebay. He was paying 15% on top of that to the auction house too. For some reason he was there every week buying up all the same type of things (Beswick, Lladro, etc), listing them on ebay, and losing money by my reckoning. I used to keep a close eye on him. A lot of work, just to lose money. Hundreds of items listed. For some people it's not about making money, it's about being the loudest, most obnoxious, "I've got all the best stuff" dealer possible. Whatever goes on in their tiny minds.   

Or a great way of laundering money ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter