Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fractal FM3 programming help - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fractal FM3 programming help

Hi

recently acquired an FM3 that the seller kindly set up some presets. This device is intended to purely to be used at gigs with some basic clean and gain and I really don’t want to be spending lots of time sat at the pc

so my ask from this totally un techno guy is…..is there anyone within a one hour radius who I could visit with the unit and help me set up a couple off sounds but tuned specifically to my FRFR Pa speaker 

I am prepared to pay for the experience and could travel up to an hour of Swindon 

thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    Hi mate,

I don't think I could help, but can you confirm which PA speaker you're using?

Something also to bare in mind is that every room will sound different, so you'd ideally want to adjust the EQ for each gig (you could use the main output EQ for this though, to save editing any EQ block that's set up).

What I tend to do - after lots of trial and error, and then finally spending a good few hours with my drummer who is a sound engineer - is to use an EQ block at the end of the chain.

In this EQ block, I do a low cut at around 90Hz, with a steep drop off. I then do a shelving cut at around 3.8kHz of about -11db. This removes a lot of ice pick highs, and acts more like a normal guitar cab.

As a further step, I do a sweep for nasty frequencies - to do this, set the Q rating to max, and simply play and move the frequency; you'll soon find a couple of horrible harsh frequencies. Then just cut these by about -2 or -3 dB. From memory, I think I've got two of these cuts at about 2.2kHz and 3.1Khz.

Hope that helps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    You'd be better off attaching it to your computer and learning how to do it. 

The Fractal editing software is an absolute breeze. When I first received my FM9t I managed to build presets in FM9 edit without having ever read the manual. It's really not complicated to use. 

I know that's not really the answer you want, but what happens when you want to make new presets or edit old ones etc? You're gonna be reliant on others for help which isn't ideal. 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 330
    Nerine said:

The Fractal editing software is an absolute breeze. When I first received my FM9t I managed to build presets in FM9 edit without having ever read the manual. It's really not complicated to use. 

I know that's not really the answer you want, but what happens when you want to make new presets or edit old ones etc? You're gonna be reliant on others for help which isn't ideal. 
    I think the point I wanted to get across is that I just want a decent clean and lead tone currently to replicate how I use my amp currently 

after that I can then begin to dabble on a pc
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    monkey42 said:
    Nerine said:

I think the point I wanted to get across is that I just want a decent clean and lead tone currently to replicate how I use my amp currently 

after that I can then begin to dabble on a pc
    But using FM3-Edit "or dabble on a pc" as you put it - is the quickest and easiest way to create a good clean and lead tone. Just connect it while the FM3 is attached to your FRFR PA at stage volume and tweak.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Steve, how are you mate ?!

I'd start with a blank setting; then just add amp, cab, OD or whatever.

Save it as a template. 

Are you running it through the DXR 10s ?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    edited June 2023
    Best thing is to use a web meeting room or something which allows remote control of a PC - that way one of us could help with the FM-Edit stuff while you play the thing your end- you just need a USB cable, Laptop and the FM Edit software. Seriously suggest you use the edit software rather than struggle along on the unit itself.

For work, I tend to use Cisco Webex for remote control of client PC's - that works ok and you might be able to set-up a demo account for that to work.

Failing that, I've had great success "off the bat" with some of the free G66 presets from Marco Fanton.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    The key thing here is to keep it simple, and take small steps. You’re quite right to start by replicating what you’ve currently got. I’d also focus on your clean sound first.

As @Wazmeister says, start with a blank preset. Add two blocks, an Amp and a Cab. Use an Amp type which you’re used to, and set Bass, Treble etc to values which you’d use on that amp. Use a Cab type which you’re used to. Don’t bother about the PA at this point. Play through your headphones. Anything you don’t like about the sound of is either due to your headphones, the Amp and/or Cab settings, or the FM3 being new to you.

Now drop in a PEQ block. (I find PEQ easier to use for this than GEQ. Eventually you might make the high and low cuts in the Amp or Cab block, but at this stage PEQ is easier to play with.) Make the low cut which @FarleyUK suggests using a Blocking filter. Make a high cut, and experiment with where you like it. Farley likes 3.8kHz, which suits his guitar/amp/playing style. I use 6.7kHz. 

Once you’re happy with your clean sound move on to your lead tone, replicating amp and pedal types and settings. When that’s OK you can move on to the PA, knowing that the the only different will be the PA’s frequency response, and the way your ear responds to higher volume (the famous Fletcher Munson effect). Both of these can be EQd.

It’s possible to do all this using the FM3’s LCD screen. This knowledge is useful when (not if) you want to change something at rehearsal or soundcheck. However I’d recommend also that you use FM3Edit too. Then you can keep copies of presets and block settings, try other people’s blocks and presets, and share your screen for online support.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 174
    @monkey42 if you’re after fairly clean, fairly crunchy and lead tone, go to axe change (in the fm3 edit application) and search for hoggin (or hoggin y’all) it’s my latest concoction which I’m pretty happy with. 

I’m unfortunately a little bit away from you but on the whole from my experience it’s all about picking and amp and can and getting stuck in, start with the basic amp part (maybe put a short reverb block in so it’s less sterile) .

So pick an amp, pick a cab … put a low cut at around 80hz and a high cut at 8000hz

Then tweak, within the amp block you can adjust the speaker impedance (going into the cab) this is really powerful!

final bit of advice I wish I knew when I started, when you open the window with amp/cab/speaker impedance choices , at the top right there’s a green arrow (I think) icon, click it so it’s pointing down, you can now quickly audition them without the window closing :-) 

if your super stuck I can do a quick teams/zoom/Facebook video call with you 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    @monkey42 How are you getting on?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 330
    Roland said:
    @monkey42 How are you getting on?
    Thanks for asking 

so have downloaded the editor app so have begun very simple rig

its still all a but fizzy and digital so I think I need to start researching the eq etc to make it fell more organic

there has also been a kind offer from a member for support so hopefully that will help as well